Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Popup "do you want open or save analytics.js from a.sitemeter.com"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mavgal

mavgal

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

I am not sure if this is an infection, but just about every page I go to, I get this pop up at the bottom of the page:

"Do you want to open or save analytics.js from a.sitemeter.com?"

Then you can click on Open, Save, or Cancel. I hit the X and it goes away until I open another page.  This is happening on just about every website I visit.

I did do a search and it seems it is a sitemeter from Google.  But how do I get rid of the popups?  It's driving me crazy and it's only been 2 days.  I have Windows 7, IE 10.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

Morning mavgal - I did a quick search myself and it looks like it is a recent development with IE and most likely not a virus or any type of malware, thankfully.

I'm using FF and am not receiving the pop up. I launched my IE 10 but couldn't get the pop up but I also don't use IE ever, so I'm not even sure how it's tweaked or set up.

I did find this and thought it might help you solve the issue and also explain - to some degree - why it is happening.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Well, I tried surfing again with IE10, disabling my Pop Up Blocker and turning off every safety feature I could think - reckless, I know - but could not get that pesky message to come up in any form.

I did get a message that Adobe wanted to install something but I said, "no thanks".  :) 

I'll try clearing all my temp files, rebooting and taking another shot at it but again, it doesn't appear to be a virus and/or malware so while it's pesky, it doesn't appear to be an infection.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

... Google Analytics helps you analyze visitor traffic and paint a complete picture of your audience and their needs, wherever they are along the path to purchase.

Google Analytics
Introduction to Analytics.js

Sitemeter is a free real-time website traffic meter to keep track of visits and page views.

By logging IP addresses and using JavaScript or HTML to track visitor information, Sitemeter provides web site owners with information about their visitors. Essentially gathering information on how the website is used, what pages people visit, what they are looking at, how long they spend on each page, etc.

It appears that only Internet Explorer is effected by the pop up.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 mavgal

mavgal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Thanks so much for the information.  After a couple of days, I stopped getting the popup.  Not sure why, I did clear cookies and had to restart the computer due to power outage so maybe that did it.  Anyway, the information you provided is very helpful.  Thanks!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif