Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Captain Dunsel

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Captain Dunsel

Captain Dunsel

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

Oops, I posted this in the wrong topic (I meant to post in the one about where the user names came from) and can't figure out how to move it or delete it, so I'll repost there. Feel free to delete this one.

In Star Trek, the original series, Captain Kirk and Enterprise were made reluctant hosts to the experimental M5, "The Ultimate Computer".  Because it had both the ability and the duty to control things which previously only he and his crew had overseen, Kirk was "playfully" called Captain Dunsel by a superior officer involved in the tests... Dunsel meaning an unneeded thing; a part which serves no useful purpose.

While I think computer technology is, as yet, far behind the ability to replace me, it can automate some of the tasks that would otherwise be drudgery, or even impossible... the positive aspects of computer ownership.   :-)

At the same time, because he ended up having to serve it, to some extent... because he was sometimes baffled by it, at odds with it... because his peace of mind was threatened by it to the point where he was once practically yelling at it, I relate to Kirk's frustration with computers, too.  

To Captain Dunsel, and the ultimate bleeping computer!

Edited by Captain Dunsel, 29 September 2013 - 10:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users