Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen is black on start up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zertz07

zertz07

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hi, I have a HP laptop - Windows 7.  I closed my laptop and later when I reopened it, it froze up on sign in (cursor blinking but mouse wouldn't move).  I shut it off and restarted but now only goes to black screen - won't go to sign in at all and the fan runs. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

Turn it on, then hit F8 immediately and keep tapping it and see if it will go into safe mode.

#3 retnaut

retnaut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

You sir have the black screen of death.

There are a few ways to fix this.

1. Perform a chkdsk /r on your OS drive.

2. Use a linux distribution to force the cmd prompt through sticky keys, and use the cmd promp to start an upgrade install to completely refresh your system files.\

3. Reformat.

This problem is harder to fix than a BSOD lol,. Seen it many many times.

Other than that, if you try to find a different way and it is a bad case. You will spend hours on this issue.

#4 zertz07

zertz07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Starting it up and hitting the F8 key for Safe Mode did not work.

Black screen of death?  That doesn't sound very good.  Sorry, I don't understand your instructions.  I can't get it to do anything but show a black screen.

This happened a month ago - I took it in to the computer repair shop and they fixed it and said I must have closed it just as it was going to go into hibernation or something and locked there.  This had never happened before.  I asked if it was something I could fix if it were to happen again and they said ... no, probably not.  I don't always believe everything I'm told though - haha.

Edited by zertz07, 29 September 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

If this was my computer, I would try using a linux live cd to go into the c: drive and delete the hiberfile.sys file which is where your memory offloaded to when a computer goes to sleep.

#6 zertz07

zertz07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thanks.    I unplugged the power cord and took the battery out....wait for a few minutes and then plugged it back in - it worked.  

I guess it gets stuck in 'sleep'? 

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Remove the battery all together and try it on just AC current and see if you get the same results.

#8 zertz07

zertz07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Ok...I've removed the battery and will just leave it out unless I need to use it.  

This is a HP G62 Notebook PC.  Just wondering why it has started to do this after not giving me any trouble for the previous 3 years.  

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

Batteries are expected to have a life of roughly 4 to 5 years depending on use and charging habits. So the battery could be just failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users