Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comm Port on Cell? What is this?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Sad to say I am new to cell phones.  I recently decided to get a cell in addition to my land line and have came across something I really need an answer to.

I heard that I could use USB cable to transfer files between the cell and the computer.

Upon attaching the USB cable the phone display showed these three options:

Charge

Mass Storage

Comm Port

Since the first two were self explanatory I selected the third.  The computer (Windows XP) displayed the new hardware wizard.  I selected search for necessary software/drivers and the computer could not find any drivers or software to assist the cellphone in whatever it was trying to do.

My questions is has anyone else encountered this option when hooking a cell to a pc and what exactly is the purpose for that option and what software should I be looking for so it can do whatever that option is designed to do?

The phone is an older Alcatel A205G with Tracfone as the carrier.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

You can use your phone with the right software to act as a dial up modem to connect to the net, and that is why there is com port associated with it. Also for use to transfer files.

#3 johnmeehan

johnmeehan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

So basically it is a useless function for me since the phone has internet capability (painfully small screen) and since I already have a method to access the net on my PC and I can transfer files between phone and computer using the mass storage option.

Unless someone can come up with a different reason the option is there I guess I will not worry about searching for driver software.

Thanks.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

Well, I would still find the drivers for it because it could inhibit proper communication with your phone and computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users