Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamP

WilliamP

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

I have a home built system with Win.7 64bit. I have some questions as to Administrator and user profiles. I originally set it up with me as Admin. Then my wife decided she wanted it. (I was actually building it for her anyway) So if you go into Control Panel it shows her as Administrator. But every once and a while when trying to do something it will say you have to be running as Administrator. Now when I looked in the User Profiles it shows a Default profile and then a profile with her name and mine together. It is running on the default profile. I am confused. One of the reasons I am asking this ,I am trying to reinstall Office 2010. Microsoft has a web site the tells you how to remove the Office. I have done it all but it won't let me re-install. Please explain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

This is called User Access Control, when you need to administrative tasks it will ask to perform a privilege escalation to perform the task then drop you back down to regular user mode. This is new since Windows Vista, and its a security related thing.

#3 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

So ,does that mean that if it needs it, it will ask for it?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

The default administrator account should not be visible.

Do the following and see if it disappears.

In the Search program and files box type cmd , when this appears in the pane above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

When the elevaded command prompt opens type in or copy and paste the following command and then press Enter.   net user administrator /active:no

If you type this in please notice the spaces between     net    user    administrator     /active:no.

This will hide the default Administrator account as it normally should be.

Edited by dc3, 30 September 2013 - 10:35 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-disable-windows-administrator-account/

Louis

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

So ,does that mean that if it needs it, it will ask for it?

Yes you are correct, and that is to prevent certain malware from being installed automatically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users