Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Computer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikelivia

mikelivia

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

Hey all. Lately i have been thinking about building my own computer. I plan on making it for a gaming computer that can run well on most games but not hurt my pocket to much. Could anyone point me in the right direction on reading on what i need or really any information on building a computer. Any links would be apprciated. Thanks very much.

Ps sorry if this was posted in the wrong place.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:53 PM

Yes, I build my own computers and I started with a book called, "Upgrading and Repairing PC's." It is now in its 17th printing. It is the best and teaches all about everything in a computer.

I suggest to start with this. Also you might want to search Google for How to build a Computer. And see what you get.

It is almost impossible to explain about this subject properly thru any Forum.

#3 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:07 PM

thank you. I wasnt expecting to get you guys to explain it. that would be just to much work and time just writing and etc. I was simply looking for some good sources for learning this information. I will look into that book and soon to buy. I really want to start building my own computer. Thanks for the info

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:37 PM

There are an infinite number of build-it-yourself guides on the internet. Basically, you need to understand how to guard against electrical damage from static electricity, how to install operating systems, which parts go with which other parts, and how to troubleshoot problems that arise. If you're relatively computer savvy, you can assemble a PC in a matter of hours and there is great satisfaction in using something that you built yourself, as well as knowing that you can replace parts if they fail.

You are not likely to build a computer for less money than you could buy one. A recent magazine article showed how to build a computer for less than $300, but that did not include an operating system. Those versed in Linux can install that in lieu of Windows and save a lot of money.

For gaming, you're going to want a decent video card, lots of memory, and so on. My medium-range build of less than a year ago set me back about a thousand dollars, but it's certainly not high-end, and that didn't include a monitor.

A good power supply is a must - it should be more than adequate for your needs and well-enough built that it will actually put out the advertised amount of power. Buying a case with an included power supply for twenty bucks is no more than a computer suicide. A third of them don't even work out of the box.

And you should know that you can easily destroy any part that you install, either by forcing it, or by improperly grounding it or plugging it improperly. That said, my first computer build about seven years ago went without a hitch.

So, if you still feel like digging in and doing it, here are a sampling of internet sites:

PC Mech

My Super PC

Build Your Own Cheap Computer

Build Your Own Computer

Directron

Hansworse

This should actually have been posted to our hardware forum, and you can post there if you run into problems.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

I have built many custom systems. And I found it easier to design a computer around a particular function that you want it to perform. For instance, in your case you want a gaming computer. I would like you to be more specific, something like: I want this computer to be able to play 'XYZ' game. Then you look at the specs that XYZ game require and build a comptuer around that. Again, in this case you probably will start with the video card. Then look at the specs that the video card requires. It may require a certain type of slot in the mobo and a certain level of power from the power supply.

At this stage you already have an idea of what video card, power supply, and at least a vague idea of what mobo you need.

The other big pieces of the puzzle are processor speed and RAM amount.

Another consideration is future expansion and upgrades. If you buy just the right amounts of everything to run XYZ game, what are you going to do when they come out with XYZ II game next year? So, you might consider overbuilding this unit if you can afford to, or at least making it possible to upgrade this unit in the future.

Gaming computers can produce a lot of heat, so plan on some extra fans. Get the quitest fans you can afford! And then install a fan controller in the front of your computer so you can control the noise a gaming computer makes. I built a gaming computer for my kids and gave it to them this past Christmas: Using a fan controller in the front helped to make it look cool as it added several lights to the front of the case, in fact I had to add a fan or two just to give all of the controls something to do and make all the lights light up!

Gaming computers are supposed to be fun!

Hope that helps! Have fun! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

ok im am going to be mostly playing rpg games. a game called guild wars which i love. Here are the specs Windows XP/2000/ME/98; Intel Pentium III 800 Mhz or equivalent; 256 MB RAM; CD-ROM Drive; 2 GB Available HDD Space; ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX Series Video Card with 32MB of VRAM; 16-bit Sound Card; Internet connection.

Like you said I would like to try and overbuild it so later on it is still a good gaming comp. But in a few post above you said I wouldent really save money? Maybe someone can suggest some good gaming companys that well working computer systems just to compare. thanks for the help

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

You might not save money, but you will get a computer that is much more expandable with higher quality components and tailored to your needs if you build it that way.
If you build it to be cheap, that's what it will be.

Actually computers built by the manufacturers for gaming aren't cheap anyway. Look at some of the Alienware computers (which are built by Dell for gaming)

Serious gaming requires more processor speed and technology, more and faster RAM, higher front side bus, bigger, more capable power supply, separate graphics card with as much of its own RAM as you can afford, more capable motherboard, faster hard drive, more cooling ability, more capable monitor, etc, etc, etc.

Look at some of the discussions in the hardware forum.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 April 2006 - 03:41 PM.

#8 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:43 PM

funny you mention that and i was just loking at alienware. I think it may be better just to go with a mid alienware computer and just add some options that way it wont be much more than 2000 dollars and it would have everything i want so im not sure yet. I still have lots of reading to do.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:00 PM

Alienware makes very nice computers, but you will still get more for your money if you build it yourself.

The thing to do is start looking at the specs and options for the Alienware computers and you will get an idea what you will want in one you build.

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

Here is a good site and it should be able to handle all of your questions:

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

#11 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:09 PM

ok thank you for the link. What i have done is written down all the parts included in the alienware computer and total price with some of the added parts i wanted. Now im oging to do the same with searching around for the parts seprate and just see if its worth for me to take on this task.

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

Just in case you missed it, there are a number of links in my previous post.

#13 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

i saw just slowly reading lots to take in. but i really want to build one just for the fact of a few reasons. I built it, its built for all my needs and dell wont get any money lol.

#14 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:13 PM

ok i was just messing around at alienware and got this computer. I tried only upgrading in the places that i thought i needed to. here are the specs...
[1] Aurora™ 7500

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Service Pack 2
Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case - Space Black
Chassis Upgrades: Standard Cooling - No Upgrade Package Selected
Power Supply: Alienware® 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply
Motherboard: Alienware® NVidia nForce™4 SLI™ X16 Motherboard
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel Low-Latency DDR PC-3200 at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB
System Drive: High Performance - 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive
Graphics Processor: 512MB PCI-Express x16 ATI RADEON™ X1900 XTX
Monitor: No Monitor
Sound Card: Integrated High-Performance 7.1 Surround Sound with S/PDIF and Coaxial Digital Outputs
Speakers: Creative Inspire® T5400 5.1 74-Watt Speakers
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet
Keyboard: Alienware® USB Full-length Keyboard
Mouse: Razer Diamondback Mouse
Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service
Security and Utility Software: Norton™ AntiVirus™ 2006
Power: Opti-UPS SS1200 Automatic Voltage Regulator 6 outlets Surge Protector
Free Alienware T-Shirt: Alienware® T-Shirt - Black - XL Only
Alienware Extras: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager
Alienware Extras: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $99.99 Value - FREE!
Alienware Extras: AlienWiring - Exclusive Internal Wire Management - $99.99 Value - FREE!
Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® Mousepad

for all this would be 2500. what does everyone think.

EDIT if you see any areas where you think i should try and get better please let me know thankyou

Edited by mikelivia, 27 April 2006 - 07:15 PM.

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:33 PM

That should do you for awhile. Looks like you've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users