Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs all stop responding after a few minutes/BSOD...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ryoku

Ryoku

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Going to try to be as detailed as possible here, so bear with me!

This start late last night while I was playing Final Fantasy 14, after playing with no issue for several hours, suddenly my game froze and both monitors displayed scrambled horizontal bars. I was actually testing my old Radeon 6950 at the time to see if it worked, so I figured it had overheated or malfunctioned, so I waited a bit and started my computer again.

Upon starting up, after about 10 minutes of using Skype, Comodo Dragon, and Steam, each program started not responding one at a time moreorless, including explorer.exe, and task manager refused to open as well, forcing me to do a hard reset.

At this point, I swapped out the 6950 for my currently typically used GTX 670 and started up again. I ended up getting the same issue. I then shut down and booted in safe mode to see if I'd have an issue then. At first it seemed okay and I was able to use my computer for over a half hour, but eventually it did freeze up the same way and I had to shut down.

I then suspected it could be RAM malfunctioning, and proceeded to switch out the 2 sticks I had in for one I used to use. This still didn't help. I tried other slots as well to no avail.

I then proceeded to start up a few more times while trying to search for anyone who may have had a similar problem in the past, though wasn't able to come up with much.

Strangely though, eventually my computer just seemed to be working fine, I even tested playing games and had no issue. I used it for about an hour before heading to sleep (it was nearly 6am at this point).

Even though I have no suspicion of this being a malware/virus issue (I haven't downloaded literally like anything for a week, checked processes/services, did some quick scans, etc), I decided to leave MalwareBytes to do a full scan overnight.

Upon waking up, I noticed my computer was sitting on the boot screen displaying 'Loading operating system...' and was stuck at that point. I restarted it once and had the same thing happen. I restarted once more, this time going to boot options, and selected the main hard drive, and after doing this it booted up like normal.

It worked fine for about 3 hours then before it started freezing up again, this time (before I decided to do a hard reset) quickly went to a BSOD, which unfortunately disappeared nearly instantly so I couldn't even check the error code.

I went to boot back up again, and it proceeded to do the 'Loading operating system...' issue again, and I had to select the boot drive again. After this, programs began freezing up again after about 5-10 minutes of use.

I'm now in safe mode and it's survived thus far for about 15 minutes. 

I currently suspect my hard drive, and which I can replace if necessary, but would like some confirmation on my suspicion, and also would like to know if there is a way to repair it.

I just looked in my event viewer and seen some things that may be of use...

The most obvious thing I noticed is that for over a month there's been Error's stating 'The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.' 

I also see 'The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.'

Some others that may be relevant...

Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

The file system structure on volume C: has now been repaired.

After finding this is my event viewer, I think it's pretty clearly my hard drive. Any chance to repair it?

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

The drive error message or warning indicates that your hard drive needs to be replaced. Backup your data immediately.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users