Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIndows acting like the alt key is held down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kulahan

Kulahan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hi there! So, my dad's laptop has a wonky situation going on. I feel like I could fix it if I was right next to him, but I'm trying to help him through text messages (I live a few states away).

Anyways, his computer is acting like he has the alt key held down at all times. Additionally, when he hits the left shift (but apparently not the right shift?) button, the computer makes a beep. I feel like there's some setting that's causing this, but I can't think of what it is! This occurs even if he uses a USB keyboard, but he's unable to disable the built-in keyboard, so I'm sure that's not much of a help.

For the record, I already had him check the accessibility options, and sticky keys (et. al.) are all turned off.

Edited by Kulahan, 29 September 2013 - 04:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Most likely something got spilt on the keyboard, is why it is doing this.  You can get a replacement keyboard for around $35 for most laptops.

#3 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Welcome, Kulahan!

I'm assuming Windows 7, since that's where you posted.  :)

Yes, likely something spilled on the keyboard.  If still wet, it might be okay when dried for a few days.  If it was something sticky, you might be able to get the key off at some point and clean it.  For now he can:

Disable/uninstall  the internal keyboard from Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Keyboards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users