Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost my libraries

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lackwit

lackwit

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Toshiba Satellite L875D-S7332 laptop, Win8, w/ Word 2013. Using Norton 360.

Suddenly, when I try to access my libraries, 3 out of 4 give me an error message like "[Name].library-ms" is no longer working, then that it can safely be removed. Now my folders have been emptied of everything I brought over from Win7, except for the documents I have added to or edited. The only exception is my music library. I do not get the error message, but the end folders are empty, too.  

Can anyone help? Norton backs up automatically (to my external HD), but before I try to reload my docs, I want to fix this library issue!

The most recent update I can remember was from Toshiba, but that doesn't mean Windows didn't sneak one in while I was asleep.

Thank you for help and patience with my computer illiteracy. Think of me this way: if you were telling me how to make a PB&J sandwich and said  "Put the peanut butter on the bread", I would do so by picking up the jar of PB and putting on top of the loaf.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

What happened prior to this issue happening?

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Follow this in how to restore the libraries:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/581-libraries-restore-default.html

#4 retnaut

retnaut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Does right click libraries in Windows Explorer.. and click Restore Default Libraries help?

#5 lackwit

lackwit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Unfortunately, I have Windows 8... and have no idea how to find Windows Explorer in it.  :scratchhead:  :crazy:

Edited by lackwit, 01 October 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#6 retnaut

retnaut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Unfortunately, I have Windows 8... and have no idea how to find Windows Explorer in it.  :scratchhead:  :crazy:

Open that giant start menu and just start typing Explorer.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Go into the Desktop, click on the folder in the Taskbar. Windows 8 is no different than 7, once you get past that thing called Metro.

#8 lackwit

lackwit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Does right click libraries in Windows Explorer.. and click Restore Default Libraries help?

Well, I still can't find Win. Explorer. IE and File Explorer is all I get when I open the Start window and type Explorer. 

When I right click in File Explorer, there is no Restore Default Libraries option. 

When I left click, I get the error message "'[Name].library-ms' is no longer working." It goes on to say that it can be safely deleted.

I need to get them working again before I restore them from backup!

Thanks for your patience, retnaut and Greg! 

cryptodan, I never answered you. The last thing I remember is downloading & installing a Toshiba update. But, after 4 concussions, my memory is highly unreliable. And MS sends and installs updates any time they feel like it, which I find highly irritating. 

Thanks, all of you.

old lady lackwit

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

You need to do a Right click, as the directions state.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

What was the toshiba update?

#11 lackwit

lackwit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

Greg, I quote my above post: "When I right click in File Explorer, there is no Restore Default Libraries option."

Cryptodan, I wish I knew, but I don't. IIRC, which can be doubtful, they said it would keep my system running correctly.

#12 lackwit

lackwit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

My apologies.  :blush:  I had a brain fart - I was right-clicking on the individual library names.   :rolleyes:  So I tried right-clicking on the word "Libraries, and lo and behold!  - there was "Restore Default Libraries."

Unfortunately, when I rt-cl'ed on "Libraries," and clicked "Restore Default Libraries," nothing seems to have happened. IOW, when I try to open the individual libraries, I still get "Documents.library-ms" is no longer working.    :axe: 

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

Flush DNS
Report IE Proxy Settings
Reset IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
Reset FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#14 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Greg, I quote my above post: "When I right click in File Explorer, there is no Restore Default Libraries option."

Cryptodan, I wish I knew, but I don't. IIRC, which can be doubtful, they said it would keep my system running correctly.

The location is at:

The full path to the hidden Libraries folder is below.

C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries

OR

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries

You may have to go into Security and take permission, to create the following folders:

Documents

Music

Pictures

Videos

Now of course, you may just be able to do a "Create new Library" if it allows you to, and then Windows should create a new library in that above location.  If that does not work, then try the following fix:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/173029-libraries-hidden-empty-fix.html

Let me know how it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users