Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internel hdd partitions deleted to turn into usb ends in raw/invalid boot sector

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlackBird67

BlackBird67

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hello, I'm not sure if this should be in the Internal or External Hardware area?

Old laptop HDD (Western Digital WD 320GB sata II WD3200BEVT) --> SATA to USB 3.0 Enclosure (Sabrent EC-3025)

I may have caused a problem with a hard disk and hope it is fixable.

When my friend’s laptop motherboard died he got a new Windows 8 laptop. I pulled his hard drive (a WD 320GB sata II WD3200BEVT) out and hooked it up to his new laptop via external USB. I then transferred all of his personal data to his new laptop with no problems.

I then wanted to delete the 3 partitions and create 1 ntfs partition so that he could use the old drive as external USB storage device. I then used Disk Management in Windows 8 to delete the OS partition and a very small partition to the left. Both of those partitions deleted fine. However, Disk Management would not allow me to delete the last far left partition (Gateway Recovery). So I booted from an UBCD with the drive still connected via USB and ran PartedMagic. Inside PartedMagic I clicked on Partition Editor, which I believe started running Gparted. Then I deleted the (Gateway Recovery) partition. I then booted back into Win8 and setup an ntfs partition using all of the drive space (298GB) with the Windows default settings. It formatted up to 99% and then said it could not complete the format.

The drive will show up in Win Disk Management but takes 10 minutes and shows the file system as RAW. I then installed the drive in an Intel desktop on SATA port 0 (no other drives but optical). I booted from the UBCD again and ran TestDisk from within PartedMagic. I analyzed the disk and this is what was spit out.

Check FAT: Can’t read FAT boot sector
Invalid FAT boot sector

1*FAT16 >32M  0 32 33 38913 625137664
1*FAT16 >32M  0 37 36 38913 625137664

*=Primary Bootable

I also ran a SMART (short) and it came back ok.
No unusual noises coming from the disk either.

Is there a way to fix this so the drive can be used as storage (no OS)?

PS All the personal data was transferred before the partition work started.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by BlackBird67, 29 September 2013 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I would remove the drive, install it as an internal drive, then use Western Digital Datalife Guard Tool to prep the drive.

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

Given that the computer is a laptop, it may not be possible to install the old drive internally. Anyway, running the drive in an external enclosure shouldn't make any difference in how diagnostic tools perform. Data Lifeguard should be able to fix the drive short of a hardware problem.

Third party freeware utilities like PartedMagic can be useful, but you can't necessarily rely on them to support all current hardware. Most of these programs were written back in the days when Windows lacked sophisticated disk management capability; which isn't the case today. Many of the freeware disk management, data recovery software, etc. are old and outdated.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

All drives that I have used that were ide and sata could be installed within the case with no issues. The only thing that I had issues with is the IDE, and that was that I needed a special adapter to perform the task of installation. SATA Drives should be no biggie to install inside a computer case.

#5 BlackBird67

BlackBird67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Sorry I had work come in unexpectedly that I had to attend to and the drive had to be benched for awhile.

I fixed the problem. It seems when I deleted the partitions the boot sector became corrupt. Luckily there was no data on the drive that I needed to be saved. I wrote zeros to the hard disk including the boot sector and then partitioned and formatted. All is now good to go!

I thank all of you for your input.

Edited by BlackBird67, 05 October 2013 - 02:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users