Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabit data transfer help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seehazy

seehazy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have two custom built machines: one small Mini-ITX size server meant as a file server exclusively and one mid-range gaming PC (client machine).  Server is running Windows Server 2012 Essentials and client is running Windows 7.  Both have gigabit ethernet capability included in specs of respective motherboards.  Interested in attaining gigabit speeds through a direct computer-computer connection.  Learned that with newer gigabit technology crossover cables are unncecessary and a regular cat6 cable is sufficient.  Need help setting up IP addresses because when attempting data transfer the speed is in the kilobytes and the transfer does not appear to be happening correctly.  May also need help with configuration of Windows Server 2012 Essentials because I want to use it solely as a file server and I suspect I have it performing too many roles/functions.

Any help is greatly appreciated and let me know if I'm in the wrong forum!

Thanks

P.S. Do I need to run MiniToolBox for you guys?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

What files are you transferring and what kilobyte speeds are being reflected.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 seehazy

seehazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Transferring large iso files of backed up blu ray movies approximately 25GB each.  Initially speeds were in the 30kb/s, which is obviously not gigabit and unacceptable.

Just made another attempt and speed is around 35-40MB/s, a huge improvement and I have completed a few transfers.  Technology, I swear to heaven above, is designed to screw with you.  I am posting screenshots of my IP details between the ethernet adapters on my server and on my client.  Would appreciate someone looking at them and telling me if they make sense.  Obviously it is working, but I have two default gateways on client machine and no DNS server on server machine.  Is that right?

The whole reason I am doing direct connection is because I do not have a gigabit switch.  Also, when hooking up my server to our router at home (with built-in switch, duh) the wireless around our house goes crazy.  DNS addresses would automatically change on my client machine (this was when it was hooked up via ethernet and I was not reduced to using a wireless usb adapter) and the wireless laptops around the house would show the yellow triangle of death (not sure if laptop DNS addresses were being changed).

Could my server be controlling DNS somehow?  Is there a way to remove certain server functionalities and only use file storage and LAN capabilities?  Am I stupid?

Attached File  ethernet_details.png   29.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  server_ethernet_details.png   13.05KB   0 downloads

Edited by seehazy, 29 September 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Maximum speed on a Gigabit network is 128mpbs (not Mbps). Average is 21.5- 25mbps. Limited by your computers hard drive and other components. 

See This article from Smartnetadmins.com that explains the difference between Megabytes per second, Megabits per second and why you cant peg a 1gb lan.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 seehazy

seehazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thank you that article was helpful and informative.  I knew that a difference existed between bits and bytes, just not what it actually was, so thank you.  I can safely say I have gigabit speed for data transfers between my server and client.

My IP configuration is still messy, however.  Data transfers are working well with my current configuration, but now my wireless network craps out after an hour and DHCP is not automatically renewing my IP address.  I have to reset the adapter every hour when the lease expires.  This is not cool.  Looked in my router settings and nothing stood out that could fix the problem.

When I attempt to assign static IP, subnet, default gateway, and DNS in TCP/IP settings I get an error.

Attached File  error_dg.png   22.96KB   0 downloads

If I choose yes then no default gateway is assigned and my internet still does not work correctly.  There is obviously some complication existing with the other network (my direct connection to server).  I posted the layout of IP addressing in my previous post if you need that information as well.  Do you know what the hell is going on?  It is extremely annoying to reset the adapter every hour and the lease should be getting automatically renewed! WTF

Thanks a lot

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

I am assuming you have Two Network cards. In Each computer. Set the Second Network card Ip Address Static to an Address other than your Internet

Example 

On Your Workstation

Your local network is (where you connect to the internet) assigned Via DHCP 192.168.1.X with subnet of 255.255.255.0 Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Set the second adapter Static to 192.128.2.1  255.255.255.0 without  a default gateway It doesn't need one the Traffic isnt leaving the network. You also Wont need a DNS server setting either.

On the sever

Set the Secondary Card Static To 192.168.2.2 Subnetmask 255.255.255 .0 Leave the default gateway and DNS blank. On The Primary Card (Depending on The Server Roles assigned [DNS]) You should set the IP Address static for your network of 192.168.1.X (IE 192.168.1.249) and assign the default Gateway and DNS. 

Edit: What server Roles to you have Installed?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 30 September 2013 - 07:14 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users