Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NotaGeek

NotaGeek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:50 AM

When I try to run IE a window pops up and says "the site you are requesting is not available" and a second window appears asking if I want to download the url I was trying to visit (my home page). I'm left with an IE window that is blank.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 2.

I've run my virus scan, spy bot s&d, and adaware. I'm using AVAST as my virus tool.

A side note Firefox browser does work (that's how I'm doing this post).

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

Well, those are signs of an infection. But I don't fully understand:

I've run my virus scan, spy bot s&d, and adaware. I'm using AVAST as my virus tool.

And what were the results of these scans?

A side note Firefox browser does work (that's how I'm doing this post).

How did you make this post? Using Firefox?

Boot into safe mode by hitting F8 key at startup and choose 'safe mode'. Run your scans in safe mode and see if they find anything.

You might also try "safe mode w/networking' if you are using high speed internet. This should allow you to surf the web. See if IE works in this mode.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:41 PM

If the scans do not find any malware, you can try running SFC /SCANNOW or use IEFIX, a general purpose repair utility for Internet Explorer which repairs Internet Explorer by registering it's core DLL files and reinstalls using the IE.INF file. It is suitable for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.

Download IEFix.zip: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/IEFix.zip
1. Unzip and double-click to run.
2. Click the "Apply" button.
3. You will be prompted for the Operating System CD or the Service Pack Files location:

* If you're using Windows 2000/XP, insert the Operating System CD. For OEM systems, point to the Operating System source path when prompted. If you've applied a Service Pack separately, you need to insert the Slipstreamed Operating System CD (if you have one) or point the installer to the ServicePack source path when prompted - i.e. "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386" or "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles"

* If you don't have the Windows installation CD, and if the installation source files are not present in the hard disk, you may click Cancel. IEFix will continue with DLL registration part.

4. Restart your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users