Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VHS to disc advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

I like many have quite a few tapes I would like to load onto my computer then burn to CD's.  I will be using a Toshiba lap top, not sure if it has all the needed connections.  Are there preferred adapters from player to computer, also been looking at Corel and Roxio kits.  Looking for the best least expensive setup.

Phil

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 September 2013 - 08:50 AM.
moved from Audio and Video Mini-Guides

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

Can you give us specs of your VHS, picture of connectors behind your VHS and your computer specs? OK, your com specs in signature.

Thank you.

Edited by Sirawit, 29 September 2013 - 09:27 AM.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hi

Basics:

Your laptop is not set to capture video so You need to get a USB capture device.

I'm going by Your given Location, USA

This one includes a TV Tuner. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.html

This one is Video Capture only. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_usblive2.html

or this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dazzle-dvd-recorder-hd/3244597.p?id=1218405787819&skuId=3244597

Basic Workflow is, Capture, Edit, Author, Burn to DVDs, CDs will not hold enough to give good results.

Capture to DVD specs, Optional step after capture is edit and filter.

So You need a capture device for USB, Preferably with Software included.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

This is the device I use.

http://www.amazon.com/ION-Video-Analog-Digital-Converter/dp/B002MT7JFQ

I do not use the software that comes with it, I simply use "Windows Media Encoder", built into Windows7, it recognizes the device, and works great.

Then I use Roxio Creator 2012, "convert video" feature to burn the files to DVD.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi and thanks a bunch for the replies, I will look into some of the suggestions and go from there.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Good Luck with Your project.

BTW if You decide you want to filter the captures to improve the end result let us know. There are free solutions.

I can not point to any at this moment as what tools you use depends on what You desire as Your end result.

Examples would be a Standard DVD that any DVD player will play. Or AVI, WMV, etc.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

If you intend to ultimately end up wanting it on a DVD that you can play in a DVD player, then the other option is to just get a VHS/DVD Recorder that will allow you to "dub" the VHS to the DVD (assuming that the VHS does not have some commercial copy protection that might mess with things). It will generally be a LOT less time consuming. Of course, it will likely cost a bit more (i.e. about $150). Basically, it will take however long the playback of the VHS tape lasts.

With the computer based solution, in addition to the time it takes the VHS tape to play back (and "capture" to the computer, you will also have the time it takes to convert that "capture" to the appropriate DVD video format for a DVD video disc (depends on how powerful your computer is) plus the time it takes to burn the actual disc (generally not all that long).

So, if time is an issue, then the VHS/DVD Recorder might be the better option.

If time is not an issue, then the computer route is likely better and cheaper.

Of course, if you also want the videos in some format on your computer as well as on DVD, then either option will take about the same time (for the VHS/DVD recorder, you would have the added time of "ripping" the disc you make from the recorder) in rough terms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users