Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in Startup Repair loop!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zeka

zeka

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

Hi,

My laptop crashed and after 3 attempts of turning it on it shut itself down. Then it showed me message C000021a error. And after it started running Startup Repair. and gives me the message "Startup Repair couldn't repair this laptop automatically". I don't have CD or dvd to boot from.

Is there solution for this problem.

Please help!

Thank you!

zara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jraju1954

jraju1954

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

You have not mentioned the laptop model. I had the similar problem and i had done this to recover.

First , try to boot in safe mode by pressing f8 while you switchon. Tab it continuously and if it goes to the screen, then select safe mode and see if it could be booted. if it boots, please i advise you to copy all the files and folders including the mydocuments folder to a pendrive and then try to repair the laptop on the next boot.

If you could not boot in safe mode also, then press f10 to go the bios settings and then select diagnostics. There are two sets in my laptop,memory and start up. Please select HDD repair menu if it is there. Then you wait for some one hour, the laptap will check if it is able to boot, lt will check memory and if it passes, then comprehensive test and if 100% passed choose the appropriate menu to save these settings and try for reboot. If 100% is passed then your problem is some what solved. There will be a tab about system information, please check whether it finds the harddisk details. If it is there , then you could be sure that your computer is reading the hard disk and the problem started because of some malware that crept in to your system.

If this also fails, then you have to fix your MBR that would have been corrupted. This you could fix about knowing the exact operation cd from your friend and try to run it from your dvd drive. Then after copying files and system wants installation screen appears, select R for repair. and in the command prompt that comes please enter 1 and against the password just enter to go to the screen c:windows. in the command prompt. Mind it that you are getting the command prompt from the dvd. Then just enter fixmbr and confirm the warnings to reenter the mbr to have the default MBR. This cd may be from anybody , but suitable to your operating system. Ok. exit from the command prompt and then try to reboot. It should probably work out. If this is not so, then i think , it is better to call the technician.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Remove the drive...install it in another system as a secondary drive.

Run the chkdsk /r command on it.

Put it back in your system, see if it boots properly.

Louis

#4 jraju1954

jraju1954

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

I forget to mention one thing in my reply.

If you try to repair fixmbr, you have to check the bios settings that SATA is disabled. I tried with original setup, and the windows show no hard disk when i click R for repair. I have surfed thro the net and found that SATA does not support windows os. So, if the hard disk is not found message displays in your first try, please try to disable SATA and it would work, I have fixed my problem as in the foregoing reply

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

I have surfed thro the net and found that SATA does not support windows os. So, if

Not sure what you are trying to say...but SATA support is determined by the motherboard, not Windows.  Windows will install on PATA and SATA drives, with ease. 

Louis

#6 jraju1954

jraju1954

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Ok, whether be it mother board or something . I had the problem and by disabling the SATA only i could go to the c: windows. in my HP laptap

#7 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Windows 7 supports most SATA controllers, but some vendors have proprietary ones.

Your best bet is to see if there is a diagnostic option on startup. This is usually F11 or F12. Then run all the hardware tests. If you provide your computer details, we could help more.

Otherwise, you could get hold of SeaTools for DOS and test the disk with this. http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

However, can you get into safe mode?

#8 jraju1954

jraju1954

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hi, Zeka, The other members are responding but not you. You have not given your laptop model. I have given the solution to what has happened to me , like yours, and how i fixed. The mbr fix worked for me. But for that you have to have a os cd, not necesarily the same that your computer has, but similar os from friends. I mean , different cd having the same os. The diagnostic test has passed 100%, but the problem persisted. I took the risk of fixmbr. It did show, when i enter the command, that my mbr was affected and need to be fixed

#9 jraju1954

jraju1954

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

i received an reply to this topic in email but when i click the link to see the whole reply, i could not see that reply in the thread page. What has happened ? How could i view, otherwise, my reply will be published before that reply. I do not know, why this happens

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

There has been no post by OP other than the initial one.

Louis

#11 jraju1954

jraju1954

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Please see the reply i received but not found in the thread

BleepingComputer.com <bleep@bleepingcomputer.com>
5:40 PM (23 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

BleepingComputer.com

jraju1954,

Abidale has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Stuck in Startup Repair loop!".

The topic can be found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509283/stuck-in-startup-repair-loop/?view=getnewpost

I have this problem too.   NOOB here.  Model is: I have no idea nor do I know how to find this

Computer is several yrs old and I do not have disks.

Fix (which did not work) so far:  

D: Dir CD\windows\system32\config

Dir

MD mybacku

copy *.*

CD regback

Dir

copy *.* ..

A (overwrite)

enter

restart.

Everything appeared as it should,  Had all files posted that I needed and no file size were 0 bytes ...

but I'm still stuck in the loop.   :(

Help anyone?

Edited by jraju1954, 03 October 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

The post by Abidale was moved, since it did not belong in this topic, and a topic was created for that member, see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509612/startup-repair-loop-issue-also/#entry3172406 .

FWIW:  A member who posts "me too" reponses, rather than starting a topic of her/his own...are normally removed from topics inititated by another member...who wants her/his issues addressed in her/his topic.  We do not encourage members to thrust their issues...into a topic initiated by another member interested in seeking assistance solely for her/his respective issues.  The topic belongs to the OP, other members can simply open a new topic of their own...showing the proper courtesy for the rights of the OP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users