Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSR (reserved)?????

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

I just did a format and re-install using a purchased Win 7 disk. This machine has not even been on line yet for any updates. I was trying to use x-pud and could not get it to boot from cd. I then loaded the win 7 cd and it did boot from it. I then treated it like I was going to re-intsall using advanced. I then saw it had 3 partitions on Disk 0. They are as listed below.

Disk 0 Partition 1 -    100mb with 78.1mb free for system

Disk 0 Partition 2 -     128mb with 128mb free for MSR (reserved)

Disk 0 Partition 3 -     931.3gb with  910.0gb free for  Primary

Why would there be a MSR (reserved)?

I am sure this is nothing but I have not seen this before. I have done several reformat and re-installs.

This machine has had problems that would take too long to describe.  Any info is greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 01 October 2013 - 02:27 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

You can format existing partitions, but the partitions will still be there, along with their labels - eg system reserved. Formatting wiill just empty their contents and/or change the filesystem. If you are nuking and reinstalling, you should delete all existing partitions, and then install. I often create two partitions (one for data, one for Windows) - the DVD will create a separate hidden partition.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 28 September 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

I have only noticed 2 partitions before. The 100mb and the primary. This is the first time I have seen the 128mb partition......but......this is the first time I have ever reformatted and re-installed before I got online and did any updates.

#4 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

Any needed partitions will be set up by Windows 7 during install. If it was a new hard disk, you wouldn't need to ask, and I'd be surprised if Microsoft made it really hard to install their purchased software (lmfao)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition

Louis

#6 retnaut

retnaut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

If Microsoft forces it on there, and you do not know what it is, but it was always there.. keep it there.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

In disk managment you can hide it removing the drive letter.

#8 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Let me ask this.     If I want to wipe all disks and partitions and start completely over.   I have a purchased Win7 SP1 disk (both 32 and 64 bit). I mean SAVE NOTHING........What should I do? 

Edited by bwrighttwo, 30 September 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

If you have a legally purchased copy of Win 7, complete with license/activation code...all you have to do is insert the DVD into the optical drive...change the boot drive in the BIOS so that system boots from optical drive...delete all existing partitions on the drive...elect to install whichever (32-bit or 64-bit version of Win 7 that you want to install...follow the prompts.

Louis

#10 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

So after I do so, how many disks and partitions should I have?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

The only partitions that can exist on a drive that is bare...are the ones that you create yourself.  Installing Win 7 on my desktops resulted in 1 partition at the time of install...I added other partitions subsequently.

Louis

#12 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

If you will look at the first post this is what I get after doing exactly as you have said. The only things that are different are..... I am not using the key from the disk..... I use the one from the machine I am doing re-install to. I have not used the key that came with the disk on anything yet. The machine that I am doing re-install on originally had the same version as the disk I am using (Windows 7 Home Premium). I will say the disk is the SP1 version and I am not sure if the machine was SP1 or not.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

I guess that I'm missing your point...what is it?

You asked a question, I gave a straightorward answer.

If that conflcits with your experiences...it should be obvious that you probably do not have a MS Genuine Win 7 disk.

I have the full version disk, a restore CD for my Samsung laptop, and a MS Family Pack set of disks.  The Samsung disk is the only one which install more than 1 partition, if I used it..

Louis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition

The MSR seems to be something that applies only to GPT hard drives   I only have non-GPT drives.  GPT drives differ from earlier, smaller hard drives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Edited by hamluis, 01 October 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#14 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

I suppose it is pointless if you do not believe what I am saying.  If there is a way for me to prove what I am saying is the truth or prove me wrong please let me know. Thanks for your time. 

#15 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

.I think I may have finally figured out a way to show you what is going on. If this does not help I will truly give up. I now need someone to give me the best way to post an Event viewer report I have saved on the desktop of the machine in question.

Here is the issue with doing so. I completely stopped doing anything to the machine after the Win 7 disk re-install was complete. I did not even enter a key when asked. I clicked the skip option. The only things I have done other than create 2 different  event viewer reports were to create 3 or 4 full dumps from the task manager which may be helpful too. I have the reports saved to its desktop. This machine does not have an internet connection which means I need to somehow save it to something then download it to one of my machines that do have net connection. What would be the best way to do so? I read in this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/506405/unknown-undetected-virus-now-created-authorized-user-permissions/page-6 topic something about the helper using their own event viewer to look at the OP's saved event reports. Let me if this is a possibility.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users