Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer shuts down if hibernated

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 merix

merix

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Please, i need help. My computer shuts down whenever i hibernate. At first, It starts hibernating, but comes on again with a blue screen that has some instructions, but even before i can read the instructions, it goes off. When i boot it again, it tells me that the computer shut down unexpectedly and ask me if i want to check for a solution online. I click yes, but nothing happens. What do i do?. I am tired of having to start from the beginning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

When you say "shut down" do you mean it shuts down completely? When the computer hibernates, it's designed to essentially "shut down" until you do something, like type a key, to wake it back up.

It sounds as if your computer is blue screening, as known as the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). It would be very helpful if we could see the error codes that appear on the screen. Follow these instructions to keep the computer from rebooting when it blue screens: click Start, type sysdm.cpl in the search box and hit enter, under the Advanced tab click Settings under Startup and Recovery, uncheck the box Automatically restart under System Failure and then click OK. Take note of the error codes and messages that appear on the screen and post them back here.

Here's a guide on how to handle BSODs if you're inclinded to do some troubleshooting on your own -- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958233.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

Try uninstalling the current video drivers...then reinstalling same.  Various problems relating to hibernation/sleep often trace to damaged video drivers.

Louis

#4 merix

merix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

When you say "shut down" do you mean it shuts down completely? When the computer hibernates, it's designed to essentially "shut down" until you do something, like type a key, to wake it back up.

It sounds as if your computer is blue screening, as known as the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). It would be very helpful if we could see the error codes that appear on the screen. Follow these instructions to keep the computer from rebooting when it blue screens: click Start, type sysdm.cpl in the search box and hit enter, under the Advanced tab click Settings under Startup and Recovery, uncheck the box Automatically restart under System Failure and then click OK. Take note of the error codes and messages that appear on the screen and post them back here.

Here's a guide on how to handle BSODs if you're inclinded to do some troubleshooting on your own -- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958233.

When i say shut down, i mean it shuts down completely. I know that if hibernated, just pressing a button can bring it back alive. But it shuts down completely that i have to press the power button again and start whatever i was doing earlier all over again. Iv bin able to get what the instructions are whenever it shows the blue screen. It says; 

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps;

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.

If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows update you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing,

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information;

*** STOP : 0x0000009F  ( 0X0000000000000003, 0XFFFFFA8005849060

XFFFFFA80009BA710)

Collecting data for crash dump...

Initializing disk for crash dump...

Beginning dump of physical memory...

Dumping physical memory to disk...100.

That above message is what is shown at that moment it shows the blue screen. Ill appreciate if you can tell me how to go from there. Thank you.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

Use Who Crashed, which you can get from majorgeeks.com and repost the dump log.  As for the hibernation issue, there are some computers & motherboards which have had this issue, since XP.  What is the make & model of the computer or motherboard.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

The 0x0000009F error for the driver power state failure means a driver is not handling the power state properly, which could also help explain why it is shutting down while hibernating.

Go to Control Panel>Device Manager and check the settings to make sure major drivers are not being shut off during sleep/hibernate mode. Click on Display Adapter, Network Interface, and Sound. In the Power Management tab, uncheck allow computer to turn off power.

And per hamluis, uninstall the video drivers and reinstall them, making sure they are up to date. You may want to make sure your other drivers are up to date as well.

Let us know how that goes.

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2013 - 12:16 PM.
Fixed typo.

#7 merix

merix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

The 0x0000009F error for the driver power state failure means a driver is not handling the power state properly, which could also help explain why it is shutting down while hibernating.

Go to Control Panel>Device Manager and check the settings to make sure major drivers are not being shut off during sleep/hibernate mode. Click on Display Adapter, Network Interface, and Sound. In the Power Management tab, uncheck allow computer to turn off power.

And per hamluis, uninstall the video drivers and reinstall them, making sure they are up to date. You may want to make sure your other drivers are up to date as well.

Let us know how that goes.

how do i uninstall and reinstall the video drivers?

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Go to Control Panel>Device Manager. Find your Display Adapter and right click it. Click Properties, then go to the Drivers tab. You can roll back, uninstall and update your drivers from there. If you don't have the CD with the video drivers on it, you will need to download them from the video card manufacturer's website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users