Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard typing on its own

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FinalFanatic92

FinalFanatic92

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hello all;

recently, my ASUS laptop keyboard has been acting really erratic. Some examples are that every time I press a key, it types a different key or another key along with it, some keys simply don't work at all, and some keys just initiate some kind of massive sequence of autotyping a single character or random characters.

At first, I thought something must be wrong with the physical keyboard itself, but the day after I noticed the issue (which is actually today), I discovered some functions of my internet browsers aren't working probably either and not only because of the unknown keystrokes. Some of the website certificates I visited suddenly weren't trusted.

To go along with that, the touch pad I use to navigate and click on items tends to go in and out, but the actual two mouse buttons work fine. Another strange quirk when I opened notepad was that somehow the auto-key strokes started typing my computer's date and time!

I have run the latest MalwareBytes anti-malware with a full-scan and did remove some malicious objects, but the problem still remains. Could I have a virus/key-logger? Can anyone help?

Thanks for any assistance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Have you tried using another keyboard?

What model Asus is it?

The certificate problem could be the computer clock is off which usually means a bad CMOS battery.

EDIT:  Any chance some liquid could of been spilled on it?

Edited by buddy215, 28 September 2013 - 05:22 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 FinalFanatic92

FinalFanatic92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

The model is U50F which I got in 2010. I did use an old USB keyboard and it works good.

No liquid was spilled on it but in a pseudo attempt to clean it I used rubbing alcohol on a clean rag. I hope that wasn't stupid as I wouldn't admit it otherwise  :blush:

But it wasn't dripping wet nor soaked (I wringed it out). I wonder if the hardware is sensitive to that? It also doesn't explain other erratic behavior like pasting the date and time continuously in notepad.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

If you are still seeing the erratic typing and certificate problem using the USB keyboard then I would suspect

the CMOS battery needs replacing. BUT....after a bit of a search I see many having a problem with that laptop

displaying the wrong date/ time. Only solution offered by one poster was the flashing of the bios.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Date Changing

It could be you have two issues...a bad keyboard and either bad CMOS battery or a need to flash the bios.

EDIT: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Technical Documents U50F

This tells you how to update the BIOS

Edited by buddy215, 29 September 2013 - 10:23 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 FinalFanatic92

FinalFanatic92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

The date/time occasionally displays wrong after startup but i just correct it with internet time. After noticing and correcting the clock the certificate issue ceased. Which leaves just the keyboard. The usb is very old and seems to have stopped working so I'm not sure if the clock time pasting issue would still happen but I can't imagine how the keyboard can do that as well as making my desktop items flash on/off.

The laptop has issues i'll admit like the power battery never working or being misread and I suppose after only 3 years its time for a new one but it sucks because of how expensive they can get and i'll have to save for it. But in the meantime if i can get the keyboard working again it will hold me over.

Thanks for any help

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Here are some links if you decide to replace the keyboard. I can't say for certain that flashing the bios would correct the

problem with the time error.

Amazon.com : New US Black keyboard for ASUS G51 G51J G51J3D G51Jx G51VX, U50 Series:U50 U50A U50Vg U50F, UX50 Series:UX50V, G53 series: G53JW, G60 series:G60J G60Jx G60Vx, G72 G72GX, G73 G73JH, X61 X61GX X61Q X61Sf X61SL X61SV X61Z, F50 F50Gx F50sf F50Sv

How to Install an Asus U50F Keyboard | eHow

Edited by buddy215, 29 September 2013 - 11:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users