Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Notebook Recovery(D) Full

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thesailor54

thesailor54

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

I have a bit of a problem. Somehow when doing backup, the backup went to the HP Recovery (D) instead of my DVD Drive and now the Recovery Drive is showing a RED LINE under it. How can I access the Recovery drive to remove the files that where added to it? I keep getting messages that the drive is locked and I need to get past that. If I loose the information on it, so be it but I would like to try to remove the excess files first. I posted the problem on the HP Forums which helped me some but then left me hanging. 

Here is a posting that I have on the HP Forums website and how far it has taken me: 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/DV2615nr-Entertainm-ent-Notebook-Recovery-D-Access/m-p/2974719#M33718

Thanks for the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Try doing a System Restore to a point prior to the backup.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 thesailor54

thesailor54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

That is not an option. When the problem accured it erased all of the System Restore files. The only restore points are listed as being made on 9/26/2013 which is several days after the problem accured.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

You can find information for deleting the added file here.  You need to be very careful what you remove, you could wind up not having a usable recovery  partition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 thesailor54

thesailor54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

I guess that you have not read the posting I started with on here. There is a link on it that goes through this procedure and it left me high and dry. Just going around and around in circles on this problem, I do not think anyone really knows how to access and view the recovery files.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Actually, I did read what the link provided.  The instruction are different, it starts by going to the System Protection and removing the protection for the recovery partition so that the files in that partition can be deleted.

If you don't find this helpful, I've made an attempt to help at no cost to you but your time. 

#7 thesailor54

thesailor54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

I guess that I do not see the difference in the link that you have sent me and the one that somone on the HO Forums website sent me. Am I missing something here?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01508532&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01508532

Here is the link that I posted that was in the HP Forum and the one that you sent. It seems that they both go to the same place and they read the same. If I am missing something here please do explain it to me because I can not see it.

And I do appreciate help.

#8 thesailor54

thesailor54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

It can be seen in the HP Forums that I followed the previous links and where they took me and the results I had when I following them. I can get in the Recovery(D) drive and see the different files, but when I try to open them I get the HP Logo with the warning I mentioned in the HP post and that is as far as I have been able to get. It will not let me in where I can delete the files that were placed there during backup.

Again, thanks.

#9 thesailor54

thesailor54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

The warning page I get is just like the one picture in figure 7 of the links but I do not get any confirmation windows as it mentions when trying to open the files, it will not let me do anything as I explained in the HP Forum. So I am at an impasse.  HELP!!!     LOL

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

At the website I provided the link for step 4 has you remove the "selection" for the D: drive.  In this case the "selection" is a check mark, you click on it to remove it.  Did you do this?

protection_zps4c9b6d11.png

#11 thesailor54

thesailor54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Yes I went through the link step by step and did not skip anything. (Or I believe that I did not)  Just to be sure I just went back into the Computer Properies and looked.............   the (D) drive is unchecked.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

You can try using a Linux LiveCD like http://www.ubuntu.com to see if you can move the files from your recovery partition to your live windows partition.

#13 thesailor54

thesailor54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

That would be alright if I could even see the files. I can not get far enough in to see the files and open them. If you read the link to the HP Forums where I have posted my problem you will see the problem I am up against. I can not for the life of me believe that this problem has never accured with other HP users when the Recovery(D) gets backup files dumped in to it.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

The Linux LiveCD should allow you to see all the files on the system even the contents on the recovery partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users