Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard clicks on startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanielDowney

DanielDowney

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

I have a Gigabyte Ga-790xt-usb3. Yesterday my computer was telling me I didn't have enough available memory to run a video game, even though I have more than enough. 

When I tried to start my computer up this morning, the motherboard would click 10 or so times, then something else would beep, then after a pause this cycle would repeat itself. After making sure everything was plugged in all the way, I tried again with the same result. I again reset the power supply and this time hit all the F keys until I got a boot menu.. the one that came up prompted me for the storage device I wanted to boot first; I selected my HD and things started up as normal.

What are the standard troubleshooting steps I should go through to confirm it is the motherboard that is the problem? I'm only assuming the board is the issue since the clicking noises are coming from there. 

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2013 - 05:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

I think that clicking could be coming from your hard drive which, if so, would not be a good sign.

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

As "myopinion" says, it is probably the hard drive. Motherboard usually only make one noise, a nasty cracking sound when they are fried. There are no moving parts for them to make noises.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Since you listed a Gigabyte motherboard I'm assuming that this is a custom build?

There is one thing which could cause a clicking sound on the motherboard, this would be a wire being hit by the fan on the CPU.  This is easy enough to check out by a visual inspection.  As suggested previously, this ticking could be coming from the hard.  There is an old mechanics tool used to discern where a noise is coming from.  This process is known as transmission of sound through a solid substance.  The mechanic would place the handle end of a screw driver to their ear and the blade end against the valve cover to discern where a lifter was making noise.  In your case you will need a long handled wooden or plastic spoon.  Hold the spoon end against your ear and the handle end against the hdd, this should amplify the sound if this is the device.  You can try this in a couple of different locations to get a feel for what the difference in sound is.

If this turns out to be the hdd, look on it to find the manufacturer and post it here.  I will find a download for the manufacturer's diagnostic tool, this will tell us if there is a problem with the hdd.

Listen to the beeps to see what the pattern is, then look up the beep codes in the user's manual to see what is found and post it back here.

Edited by dc3, 28 September 2013 - 06:53 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jraju1954

jraju1954

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

That sounds like hard disk is dying. Please copy the essential files and folders to a removable storage and replace the mother board. The clicking sound is a warning sign of death of hard disk. Please do not try any other fix, If you could get normal boot , copy all the files and folders in you pen drive which later you could transfer the same to the drive with the new installation of os.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

As a precaution I agree with backing up all of the important data to removable media, this is something which should be done on a regular basis anyway.  

I was able to find ten references to clicking noises originating from a Gigabyte motherboard on my first Google search, so it is possible that the noise is coming from the motherboard.  It is also possible that this is the "click of death", but without determining where the clicking noise is coming from we can't be sure.  If the computer is going to be started to backup the data the mechanic's trick should be used to ascertain the location of this noise, it would literally take seconds to determine the location.   

If the computer can't be started you can try using Ubuntu to recover the data from the hdd.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

At HowToGeek there is a good tutorial for using Ubuntu to recover data from a hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

The simplest way to determine if the clicking sound is coming from the hard drive is to shut down, unplug the power, and disconnect the drive completely. Reconnect the power, reboot, and if you don't hear any clicking, then the drive is the culprit. That's a common occurrence as you can see from most of the posts here, and certainly the most likely explanation for the noise.

However, the beep codes you hear are normally related to failing memory. So, you may have two separate hardware issues here. That would be consistent with the  "insufficient memory" error in your game.

Obviously, the most important issue is backing up any data you need from your hard drive, since it is almost certainly failing. Depending on how much data you need to copy, an external hard drive, or a flash drive would be my preferences. Backing up to CD or even DVD may require a lot of disks, and is going to be slow, slow, slow.

Linux tends to be a bit more tolerant of flaky memory than Windows, so you can probably do the data transfer with the Linux LiveCD of your choice. In a worst case scenario, you might have to connect your HD to another computer to do the data copy.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users