Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen on startup - Dell Vostro 470

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Syborg

Syborg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would have some sound advice for me on this problem. I have a Dell Vostro 470, with Intel I5-3450 @ 3.10 GHZ, Nvidia Geforce GT 620 video card and 6 Gig of ram. When I start the computer, it begins normal startup, then just before the windows desktop appears...I get a black screen that shows only the mouse pointer. Sometimes it will show the mouse pointer and the taskbar but no icons. From there, I cannot shut it down unless I push the power button. Im using Windows 7 64 bit version. Usually it will startup normally afterwards that but not always. At first I thought this just happened when the computer is cold, but it happens either way. And sometimes it just starts normal. I did a full virus scan (using Norton 360) and no issues there. I used malwarebytes and it shows clean. I switched monitors and same problem and I also switched out the video card with another and still have the same problem. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Oh, and I just rermembered, I used the Dell hardware diagnostic program included with my computer and it passed all tests, including the thorough test.

Thanks

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Try doing a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Or see how it performs in safe mode - leave it on for several hours

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

If a clean boot doesn't narrow it down, you may have to do a registry fix, if you feel comfortable doing that. It is important that you back up your registry before you make any changes to it. The instructions are for Vista, but they will work for Windows 7 as well.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/black-screen/ecb734cc-a438-4c7f-8556-9f06e6692a94

#5 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Wow guys...starts up fine everytime on a clean boot...now I just have to figure out what service is causing the problem....Im so happy that Im getting somewhere with the help of this forum :thumbup2:  I will post anything I find...thanks.

#6 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

Huh....I could not find an issue with the startup services...as soon as I got out of the clean boot mode...I have the same issues :( I dont always have the black screen now, sometimes it shows the desktop but the computer hangs. And the busy cursor is always in motion, but I cannot do anything at this time but reboot by pushing the power button. Works great in safe mode.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

You may have to try the registry fix I mentioned earlier. I don't recommend it if you aren't familiar with higher-level troubleshooting -- in that case, I's take it someone who is. And if you do decide to try it, remember, back up the existing registry before making any changes.

#8 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sorry for not mentioning...yes I did try that registry fix and I did backup before hand...the explorer.exe file was in the shell as it stated in the artical so I did not have to make any changes there...but thanks anyways.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

In that case, try opening up the task manager and trying to start explorer.exe from there. In task manager, under processes, scroll to explorer.exe and click End Process. Click End Process again if it asks you to confirm. Under the Applications tab, click New Task and type in explorer.exe. If that doesn't work, let us know what happened.

Or, if you can go back to a system restore point before the problem started, try that.

In any event, the problem is in windows explorer somewhere. Can you remember what changes if any you made to the computer before the problem started?

#10 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

You said it was working fine with a clean boot, and then "I could not find an issue with the startup services...as soon as I got out of the clean boot mode...I have the same issues" - That is a contradiction. It seems clear that on the contrary, you DO have a problem with a startup item or service. The normal procedure is trial and error. Try re-enabling the startup items first, does the problem return? Then try the startup services, does it return then? So you can work out if its a startup item or a service. Say it was a service causing the problem.. You then narrow it down by re-enabling say, the first half of the services, if the problem service is not in the first half of the list, try the second half. Then try them 2-3 at a time, until to find the one causing it. A common culprit is security software. You could try disabling those first.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 29 September 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#11 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

When I said that I could not find an issue with the startup services...I meant that I tried the procedure that u mentioned above. I beleive your right about the security software, I now remeber I had an update to my banking security software and shortly after that the problem started.

I went back to a system restore point and all seems to be working great now :) It seems to have worked...thanks for all the great advice....you guys are the best!

Cheers

Edited by Syborg, 29 September 2013 - 01:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users