Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to block a free wifi signal'

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 ptiinc

ptiinc

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

hey everyine'

I get a free wifi signal..its very strong, last week I found out another neighbor was also using this signal,

now my free signal is almost half as strong, when the other guy is online.

the neighbor who is letting out this unsecured signal, doesn't know he's doing it.

now 2 of us are stealing his signal' can I block the other guy, so my signal will be stronger..

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,992 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:02 AM

In order to have a strong WiFi signal, you need to get your own WiFi connection.  Then secure it so that no-one can steal bandwidth from it.

Even if it were possible, we will not assist you in optimizing the stealing of another's bandwidth.

Finally, in order to block the other person from using your neighbor's bandwidth,  you need to go to your neighbor and ask him to secure his connection.  Of course, that would block you out as well.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

Whether no one, or 100 others use that signal, it will not affect the 'strength' at which you receive it.  the 'channel' will have a limited bandwidth as OB mentions, and your available throughput can be limited.  But the strength will not change. 

But I agree the best solution is to get your own....

Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,696 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:04 AM

Apropos, I guess.

Edited by Bezukhov, 30 September 2013 - 03:04 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 ptiinc

ptiinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks' this is  some funny stuff!

damn fool' she got what she deserved...as am'I

That being said, I knew I was opening myself up for all sorts of' all holyer than now..how dare you do such a thing!

Posting this question on here may seem really really: idiotic.. but' it's not for me..to judge me'

Now' to the question at hand. I have access to this router and adjust any values,  being logged in as :admin:

I see the one person, that's also taking this signal for free, he is always on is slowing me down.I went into block devices and put his ip add

in to block "All"..I spoke with him last nite " unbeknowist  to what I,m doing" he said his signal was on & off..so my

question is, when I try to block him..on an unsecured signal, can I at least slow dow or limit his abilty to full access ?

Yeah' I know..some of you guys can't believe I,m posting this..but' how many of you have done or would do this !

It's a rhetorical question'..Thanks Guys!

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

I am sorry, but we won't help or even hypothesis on how to steal Internet service.

Holier than though or not, its illegal to steal Internet and not something I will allow on my site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users