Hello butterflybrs, and to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.
I am oneof4, and I am here to help you!
- I ask that you refrain from running tools other than those I suggest to you while I am cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.
- Please perform all steps in the order received and do not proceed if you need clarification.
- Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems please stop and tell me about it. When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide you with detailed suggestions for prevention.
- At the top right-center of the topic you will see a button called Follow this topic. If you click on this, another page will open. Please choose Instantly for notification and then clicking on Follow this topic you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.
- If after 5 days you have not replied to this topic, I will assume it has been abandoned, and I will close it.
- I would also like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please be courteous and appreciative for the assistance provided!
- Again I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so. Your computer fix will be based on the current condition of your computer! Any changes might delay my ability to help you.
Let's try to boot your computer using the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4win).
Please print this guide for future reference!
You will need a blank CD, a clean computer and a flash drive.
Please follow the steps below and let me know if you were successful. If you were unable to create the UBCD4win, please tell me what error messages you got and/or what steps you got hung up on.
1. Download and Run Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
- Save it to your Desktop.
- Double-Click on the UBCD4Win.EXE that you just downloaded to your desktop.
- Follow all of the instructions/prompts that come up.
- Do not install to a folder with spaces in it's name.
- Your Anti-Virus may report viruses or trojans when you extract UBCD4Win, these are "False-Positives." Read HERE for information regarding the files that normally trigger AV software.
2. Insert your XP CD with SP1/SP2/SP3 into a CD Rom drive
- Double-Click on UBCD4WinBuilder.exe located in your C:\ubcd4win folder.
- Click "I agree" to the Builders License.
- Click NO to Search for Windows Installation Files
- Make the following selections from the Main Screen that pops up:
- Source:(path to Windows installation files)
- Enter the path to the drive where your XP CD is located.
- You can click on the "..." button on the right to navigate to the path as well.
- Custom: (include files and folders from this directory)
- No information is necessary, leave blank.
- Output: (C:\ubcd4win\BartPE)
- Media output
- Choose Create ISO image
- Do not choose Burn to CD/DVD
Please note: If your XP install disc is SP1 then please .....
- Disable- DComLaunch Service
- Enable- LargeIDE Fix
This can be done by pressing the "Plugin" button and checking or unchecking the appropriate selections
Also note: If you have a Dell XP install disc you will need to follow the instructions here
[/list]3. Click on the "Build" button
- You will see the Windows EULA message. Click on I Agree
- You will now see the Build Screen. Let it run it's course
- When the Build is finished you can click close, then exit
4. Burn your ISO file to CD
- Please see HERE on how to burn an ISO to CD.
Next, from your clean computer:
Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
and save it to your flash drive.
Now plug your flashdrive back into your sick computer and follow the next instructions:
1. Restart Your sick Computer Using the UBCD4Win Disc That You Have Created
- Insert the UBCD4Win disc in to one of your CD/DVD drives.
- Restart your computer.
- The computer should choose to boot from the UBCD4Win CD automatically. If it doesn't and you are asked if you want to boot from CD, then choose that option.
- In the window that pops up select Launch The Ultimate Boot CD For Windows and press Enter.
- It may take a little longer for the Desktop to appear than it does when you start your computer normally. Just let the process run itself until the desktop appears.
- Once the desktop appears, you will receive a message asking: Do you want to start Network support?
- Click on Yes if you want to use the PE environment to get online post your log and reply by way of an Ethernet connection.
- You should now have a desktop that looks like this:
- Single click My computer from your UBCD4W desktop to navigate to the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool you saved to your flash drive.
- Double click on it to begin running the tool.
- When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
- Press Scan button.
- It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your next reply.
Edited by oneof4, 01 October 2013 - 06:19 PM.