Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games For Windows Live ID Assistant update and Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MJPRCE

MJPRCE

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hi folks

I'm having a massive headache with Games For Windows Live and - more specifically - the apparent need to update the Live ID Assistant. 

The problem is that even if I run the installer from the Microsoft website as admin, it goes as if to extract the installer file, but doesn't actually do anything after that.

I've tried uninstalling the GFWL client, rebooting and reinstalling, I've tried compatibility but that isn't working either. I really do not know what the heck to do with this.

I've looked through numerous forums that have suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the client software, and some have said that the Live ID assistant doesn't need re-installing. I happen to be fairly certain that the ID assistant is a service (if I'm not mistaken), so I've looked through services.msc, and there's not a trace of it in there, so it really does need installing. I can't launch any games without it, and I've got a fair few that are just sat around doing nothing because I can't get the blasted assistant to install in the first place. 

The next thing I notice is that even though I'm using Windows 8 (not 8.1, just windows 8) it tells me the update for the Assistant is for Windows 7 systems. Could that be part of the problem or have I really missed something?

Any help greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MJPRCE

MJPRCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Ok never mind. I managed to resolve that problem.

If only I can get Batman Arkham City to work, there's a bunch of solutions out there but none of them appear to be working for me - mostly because of the GFWL stuff I think. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users