Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop waking from shut down.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 daverobzippy

daverobzippy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi, I started a topic regarding this problem here. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508282/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-probably-not/ .

Having checked that the computer is clean and attending to an issue with the printer software I have been directed here.

The laptop is an ACER V5-571 model number MS2361.

It is running windows 8 64bit

intel core i3-2365m CPU

8gb ram

The laptop is shut down each evening and when I come to it in the morning it is awake. If it was left unplugged (for safety) then the battery will be flat.

If it is left plugged in then it will be warm when I come to it and I would sooner not leave it plugged in overnight.

I have looked at things that might update in the early hours and can find nothing that is set to run at that time.

The router stats show that the machine switches on at approx 3 - 4 am..

Thanks in advance....        Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

So to clarify, in the evening you do a clean shutdown and when you awake in the morning it has been turned on? Reason I ask is to make sure it's not being put into sleep/hibernate mode instead of actually being shut down.

Have you looked at the bios upon boot to make sure WOL "Wake on Lan" is not turned on? Also take a look at the Scheduled Tasks to make sure there has not been a task set.

Edited by chrisd87, 27 September 2013 - 02:36 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 daverobzippy

daverobzippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Hi, yes a full shut-down of the machine..    Wake on lan is disabled in BIOS and I can't see anything in task scheduler.

#4 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hello Rob,

Here are two articles that may apply:

You may have a BIOS option set to automatically power on/boot your laptop at a specific time each day:

http://lifehacker.com/5831504/how-can-i-start-and-shut-down-my-computer-automatically-every-morning

OR

You may need to check your power options as described in this article (same laptop as yours):

https://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/with-windows-8-off-isnt-really-off/

Good luck.

#5 daverobzippy

daverobzippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hi, there is nothing in bios set to wake the machine....   If I shut down the computer now and come back to it in 20 minutes and start it up it will be a full start up, the machine will of shut down fully.

The same shut down at night is happening but the machine is coming alive in the early hours, when I come to it in the morning it is ready to go, (provided it has been left plugged in, otherwise the battery will be flat)

How would I go about finding what has woken it up?. I have looked in task scheduler history but can't find anything...

#6 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

The first link I provided is not to wake the machine. It is intended to "power on and boot" the machine. This is sometimes referred to as an RTC (or real-time clock) alarm option in the BIOS. Now, the second article specifically addresses the need to make sure that your power button is set to actually perform a full shutdown. So, if neither of those articles helped you then I'm out of ideas.

#7 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

One more thing. Here is an example of what the RTC Alarm page might look like in a typical BIOS. Please be aware that this option is not always present:

iglx.png

#8 daverobzippy

daverobzippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

There is nothing in BIOS set to power up the machine. The machine is shutting down properly and is powering up a few hours after being shut down..

Thanks again...

#9 daverobzippy

daverobzippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

Shut it down last night and as per one of the above articles held down the shift key but this made no difference, laptop had still powered up in the night.

Al i can work out with my limited knowledge is that it started at 01:17 , I can't work out why though..

Edited by daverobzippy, 28 September 2013 - 02:24 AM.

#10 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

I think you would be better served (at this point) to head on over to the ACER forum so someone with the exact same laptop can work with you. However, I am telling you that there is no magic involved here. You either have (inadvertently) set an RTC alarm function and/or have some "wake-on" option set; however, since your responses are so brief, it is really difficult to tell what you have done when suggestions were made. Specifically, when you were asked to check the BIOS for the RTC option, you responded generically "There is nothing in BIOS set to power up the machine." That tells me nothing. I would have preferred to know if the RTC function is present or not present because it may require a combination of option settings for it to work (or not work). Anyway, head on over to the ACER forum and good luck there.

Edited by myopinion, 28 September 2013 - 06:44 AM.

#11 daverobzippy

daverobzippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

So, if neither of those articles helped you then I'm out of ideas

I wonder if maybe someone on here with a little more knowledge could help with this one. As I have already stated there is nothing set up in BIOS to power on the machine automatically and holding the shift key while shutting down doesn't make a difference, thanks for your help up to now MYopinion but hopefully someone with more knowledge can assist us further.

#12 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

I wonder if maybe someone on here with a little more knowledge could help with this one.

Thanks for you evaluation of my limited capabilities. Your personal evaluation is very much appreciated.

#13 daverobzippy

daverobzippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

No worries. Thanks again.

#14 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Try shutting it down with only power cable connected to it with battery being removed. See if it still wakes up. Also have you looked in your power saving options in Windows to make sure there is no power saving options enabled?

Also do this for us. Download Minitoolbox from here. Checkmark all boxes and run the program. When finished please copy the results and paste them in your next reply.

Edited by chrisd87, 28 September 2013 - 07:41 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#15 daverobzippy

daverobzippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hi Chris. I will try it tonight with the battery removed and just the mains lead plugged in.

In power savings there are settings set to dim the display after x and turn off display after y and so on. There is nothing in there that I can see about waking the machine. I can get them all in detail for you if you require

I will run minitoolbox now and post the results.

Thanks again....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users