Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0xc00000e9 - i/o error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 qtechie

qtechie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

I am attempting to fix a laptop that was running very slow.  It is running windows 7.

It was taking ages to boot up and start programs, etc.

I suspected it was some sort of virus, etc, and I did plan on running the full suite of antivirus, antispyware, etc to clean it.

However, I first tried to apply some windows updates first.  In the middle of the update, the power was lost and the computer now cannot even boot to the start screen.  It keeps giving me the error message:

**Error message begins**

Windows Boot Manager

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing.  Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info:  An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

**Error message ends**

The compute tries to boot up with the windows screen loading (but windows icon is missing), but it fails to boot and it takes me a screen where it says repair computer or start windows normally.

No matter what I try, whether it is to repair, safe mode, last known good config, etc, it always results in the same error shown above, or it eventually says no bootable media, etc.

I am unsure if the problem is with a failing hard drive, or whether the hard drive is fine, and I just need to repair the windows installation so I can get to the start menu and clean the computer.

Will a windows recovery disc provide me more repair options?

I would like to avoid formatting the hard drive if possible.

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 duke41

duke41

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

I am New here. So take this with a grain of salt..

Have you tried F1 F2 or del key. to get to

the bios\cmos then load defaults???

And also is it pluged in , May need a full charge..

just my thoughts Good Luck

Duke

#3 jlbbeeping

jlbbeeping

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

"Will a windows recovery disc provide me more repair options?" Yes

You need to repair your master boot record... when you boot into the windows 7 disc attempt to repair the computer.... type in /fixmbr in the cmd.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Well...I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...in light of the fact that the error message specifically points to a hardware error.

Failing hard drives qualify as such.

Input/output errors can be caused by faulty drive connections or bad cables, IME, among other things.

Louis

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

The 0xc00000e9 error code indicates a hardware error based in the BIOS and most likely involving the hard drive. The loss of power during the update installation may have damaged the drive.

Given that nothing else works, you may need to do a clean install of the OS. If you can recover any files and back them up, do that before reinstalling the OS. It may even be the case where the hard drive is unrecoverable. As hamluis suggested, you might want to check the website of the hard drive's manufacturer and see if they have any recovery tools you might be able to use -- although this may still result in a reinstall of the OS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users