Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My DOS program is all messed up with letters and symbols instead of lines. Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 besscella

besscella

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hi

I have a program that runs in DOS or using Dosbox and it's not working properly.  It's basically a lottery program called Advantage Plus from Smartluck.com. 

You see recently I had some viruses or malware on my computer and in the process of removing said malware I had to use a program called Combofix.exe.  I did this under the supervision of Nasdaq here on bleeping computers in a forum called Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs.  Here is the link below to that topic in case it helps you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507926/possible-malware-infection-pc-is-running-wrong-version-of-windows-xp/page-2#entry3167623

I discovered that after running Combofix.exe that when I went to try and start Advantage Plus that all the lines that should frame the menu are now replaced with weird symbols or odd looking letters with accents on them etc.   And when I run the game itself, the lines that normally seperate the numbers into columns, those lines are now replaced with little number 3s.  It makes the game almost impossible to read. 

I can attach a Screenshot of what the Menu looks Like and a screenshot of what one of the charts looks like if you want me to.  Just let me know. 

I've been in touch with the Technical Support team at smartluck.com and he seemed to think that my problem had something to do with the PC8 Codepage that deals with ASCII characters.  My program now has weird characters where there used to be Framing Lines etc and it's making the program unreadable. 

I also have this same program on a USB stick and I tried running the program off of that on my computer but I got the exact same results.  I then ran the program on the USB stick on a friends computer and it ran on my friend's computer perfectly fine.

I also tried doing a system restore to a point before I ran Combofix.exe (19th September) and then tried running Advantage Plus and it ran fine.  The only problem with doing this was that Nasdaq said that by doing that I may have undone all the good that Combofixe.exe had fixed.  So I re-restored the system back to the original date (24th September) and the problems returned.

I was hoping you might be able to help me sort that out too please.  Thanks.

My knowledge of computers is limited, so if you wouldn't mind, when you do offer some help, will you please make it step by step and be very clear about the order in which you want me to do whatever I'm supposed to do.  Thanks.

For your convenience, I've included the email I sent to Smart Luck Technical Support and his response, in case it's of any use to you.

Here is the email conversation I had with Smart Luck Technical Support: (Includes my email and his response)

Hello Bluesybell, (Bluesybell is me)

Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 3:43:35 PM, you wrote:

> Technical Support request concerning product: Advantage Plus

> Hi

> I recently had some problems with malware which have now been taken care of.
> However during the process of removing said malware, I had to run a program called Combofix.exe.

> After running this program the malware was removed.  However, when I tried
> to run the Advantage Plus Program, the window opened but there were all sorts
> of unusual letters and symbols showing in the main menu, where the
> surrounding (framing) lines should have been.  

> Also when I pressed 4 to view the Drawings Since Hit Chart, all the lines
> that seperate the numbers had been replaced with little number 3's.  this
> makes the chart almost impossible to read.  A lot of the other charts are in
> pretty much the same condition - very difficult to read.

> I bought the program on a usb stick a while ago.  So I thought I would try
> to read the program from usb stick and see if that showed up as normal.
> Unfortunately, I had the same results with the symbols and letters all over the place.

> I know there is nothing wrong with the usb stick as I was able to read it
> properly earlier today on a different computer.  It worked perfectly well on the other computer.

> I know that the way this program is functioning on my computer sounds odd so
> I took two screenshots of the program in action.  I can send these on to you
> if you'd like. I tried to copy and paste them here but was unable to do that.

> I'm thinking that the problem is on my computer but have no idea how to fix
> it.  So I was wondering if you could help me get the Advantage Plus Program
> to run properly again please.  Thanks.

> Just let me know if you want to see the screenshots.  Thanks.

> Kind Regards,

> Sharon Cleere.

> --Sharon Cleere

It may be as simple as setting the PC8 codepage but I don't know that. Standard
ascii characters have numbers up to 127. Numbers from 129 to 255 are special
for the pc with line drawing characters among others. These character maps are
called Code Pages in 32-bit windows and in DOS. In other code pages, those
symbols show Umlaut characters and other special foreign characters instead of
the liine drawing characters.

Search Google for Code Page to see how to change it and the specific name for
the Standard PC's default codepage. Otherwise I'm not sure what to tell you.
You might have to do a restore from older restore points to fix that problem.

--
 Best Regards
Joe H, Smart Luck Technical Support
Extended Help exthelp@smartluck.com
1-727-441-8714 Monday-Friday 1:00-5:00 pm EST (gmt-5)

I hope you can help.  Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers,

Sharon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

I just have to ask - have you considered reinstalling DosBox?

Link:  http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

#3 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hi,

My computer is a 32-bit system and so the program doesn't actually require dosbox on my system to run.  It normally runs just fine using DOS.  But at the moment it isn't working that well at all.

I'll try what you suggested anyway, and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers,

Sharon.

#4 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

Hi Petewills,

Before I tried your suggestion, I did some more searching around and came across someone else who was having similar problems to me.

All he did was change the fonts in the program from Lucinda Console to Raster fonts and suddenly the program was readable again.  So I thought I'd try that, and hey presto!  it worked for me too.

I'm happy enough with that solution so I think I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Cheers,

Sharon. :bananas:

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hi Sharon

Thanks for the feedback - glad you have resolved it and now, 'it could be you!'

I suggested Dosbox, because I have used it in the past, for running old Dos games/programs on my Win XP Home desktop and found that they ran without any compatibility problems, within the 'shell'. Agree there's no point in installing it, as you are now sorted.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users