Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securing New PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nexus666

nexus666

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

I just got win8.  I removed all its default bloatware (including some crappy mcafee) and I'm wondering what I should to do keep it secure.  I put mbam on it and activated the trial with live protection.  I also put on superantispyware and I'm considering adding avast.  What do people recommend?

I ran tdsskiller just to check it out and to my surprise it crashed :o  

do you think this is a concern?  I ran it again and it worked (didn't find anything) but it seems kinda strange that it crashed to me.  also superantispyware which I'm running for the first time is going really really slow.  It quarantined a bunch of stuff and its taking foreverrr to delete stuff.  It's been going about 5 solid minutes and it still hasn't finished.  Any ideas why this would be?  

I kinda want to put comodo firewall on but I don't want to screw my os up or anything but it would be nice to have a powerful firewall which I could lock down if wanted.  What would you guys recommend?  What would you do to secure a new pc?  Just curious to other peoples ideas :)  cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hello nexus666,

Before I make any suggestions, please understand that my recommendations are based on my needs alone and may not apply to yours. So, with that said, the first thing I would consider is your own surfing habits. Now, for my purposes, I consider myself to be a safe-surfer. Please understand that even I get caught at times but my current configuration of using Avast 8 + the Windows 8 inherent firewall has served me well. However, if you consider yourself to be a risky surfer, then you might need a bit more protection and this could come in the form of some combination of programs to lessen your risk. Now, because I do not place myself in the risky category, I cannot address the risks associated with same so I will leave that for other forum members to address as needed. Good luck.

Edited by myopinion, 27 September 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#3 nexus666

nexus666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

ive been looking at my task manager and its permenantly at 99% cpu. what is this... when i close other things other things use up more cpu. i dont really notice any slow downs though.  i switched it to not throttle the cpu to prevent this cpu coil whine that happens in this model laptop... maybe thats why? it still seems weird to me that its using up 99% permenantly. heh. i scanned with aswmbr and i got a threat.  waiting on another post for help with that... meh. 

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

All I use is Microsoft Security Essentials, Chrome for browsing with the following two add-ons:  WOT (Web Of Trust) and AdBlock Plus.  The best security is being aware of what sites you going to, what attachments you are downloading, not opening emails in html, restrict that attachments are not automatically downloaded, embedded pictures in emails are not automatically allowed.

Of all, it is up to the end user's browsing habits, which decides how secure the machine is, not the software installed on it.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Don't download torrents (p2p downloads).  This is one of the quickest ways I know of to get an infection.  You never know if these file that are being shared contain viruses or other nasty stuff.

Be aware of third party software included in downloaded programs.  These programs come with a check mark already made in the accept box and need to be removed if you don't wish to include these in the installation of the desired download.  When you start the installation of a downloaded program you usually will be prompted to use a Custom or Full install, you want to use the Custom install.  This will allow you to see each of the third party added programs to decide whether you want them or not.

Edited by dc3, 30 September 2013 - 09:42 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 nexus666

nexus666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

after getting infected with something (aswmbr shows threat) ive come to the conclusion using a hips firewall and establishing a policy is really the only way to stay safe.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users