Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shutting down when running virus or malware scans

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 galbijimbob

galbijimbob

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:27 AM

I noticed yesterday that my computer was running slow and a huge % of the processor was being used when nothing much was happening. When I tried running my audio program (cubase) the computer really struggled and the sound was breaking up. I closed the program and did a few searches to identify the problem. The first response was to do a virus/malware check, so I did, but my computer just started shutting down about 1/3 of the way through the check. It will start up again OK, but if I try another scan it closes down.

Firstly, I restored my system to point around 10 days ago when everything was running OK, but the scan problem still prevailed.

I then did a disk cleanup, and deleted temp files, temp internet files, program downloads, and the recycle bin. Problem was still there.

I then attempted a disk error check, however the computer shut down half way through this process as well.

I am really stuck as to what to try next. I have no idea if this is a hardware or software/virus issue. My computer will start up and run for a while, but then the Processor use gets very high again, and it's impossible to run most programs. It will then automatically power down.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

James

I have included some specs below:

Intel i3 processor

4GB RAM

1TB HDD C: 320GB with OS E: file storage

Windows 7 Ultimate

Avast Free Home antivirus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

I then attempted a disk error check, however the computer shut down half way through this process as well.

Use this method, and if it fails

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:
 •Click the Start ORB and select Computer

•Right-click on C:(or your main HDD letter) and select Properties

•Click on the Tools tab

•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt

•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

•Click on the Start button

•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer

•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

This will take (on average) 1 to 2 hours, so please let it finish.

Do not force a reboot while the check is running, as this may damage data -

Thank You -

#3 galbijimbob

galbijimbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

The disk check worked this time, and everything seems OK at the moment. I'll try a few programs out, and see what happens.

#4 galbijimbob

galbijimbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

I'm still having trouble.  If I run two or three programs at the the same time, everything works really slowly. 

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

When your computer starts behaving sluggish, when you look in the task manager and sort by cpu what process is using the most cpu power?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

It could also be a system memory issue. You might want to run a memory test to ensure you don't have any damaged RAM -- go to Control Panel>Memory>Diagnose your computer's memory.

#7 Mwas

Mwas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Before shutting down, is your computer hot and/or the fans running wild (for lack of a better term)?

#8 galbijimbob

galbijimbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

Not any hotter than usual. The only thing I'm noticing before shutdown is the HDD running a little wild, but I've done a disk error check and it didn't find anything. My computer shut down again during a memory check, but since it started back up, it's been running OK. I have only been using Chrome, Word, and Acrobat Reader, but it seems much better now. I'll post again if there are any more problems.

#9 nalin

nalin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

I guess you need a good antivirus in your computer. Try using eScan antivirus as it is the best for computer/mac/linux/android . You can also get a free trial version .  :smash:

#10 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

Seriously guys, if you don't understand the problem, don't comment. If the guy tried doing a malware scan and it failed, the warning lights should be going up that he probably has malware.....

Try starting up in safe mode with networking (press F8 repeatedly on boot up) - download malware bytes and scan your system.

I hope this help.

regards

Adam

Edited by Adam Pollard, 28 September 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#11 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

IF this is a malware issue then this topic needs to be moved to the Am I Infected forum and then if a clean bill is granted, then it may be moved back to here and we may continue on with the diagnosis.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#12 galbijimbob

galbijimbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

I'm scanning with malwarebytes just now. I'll let you know what it finds.

#13 galbijimbob

galbijimbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

Here's what malware bytes found. Only 5 threats, 4 of which were in quarantine within another program. Should I delete all of these files?

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.09.26.05

Windows 7 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
jimbob :: JIMBOB-PC [administrator]

9/29/2013 5:06:23 PM
MBAM-log-2013-09-29 (17-58-45).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|E:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 398575
Time elapsed: 47 minute(s), 54 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 5
C:\Users\jimbob\Downloads\rcpsetup_cpuid.exe (PUP.Optional.RegCleanerPro) -> No action taken.
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files\Ilivid\uninstall.exe.vir (PUP.Optional.Bandoo) -> No action taken.
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\ProgramData\Tarma Installer\{361E80BE-388B-4270-BF54-A10C2B756504}\Setup.exe.vir (PUP.Optional.Tarma.A) -> No action taken.
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\ProgramData\Tarma Installer\{C4ED781C-7394-4906-AAFF-D6AB64FF7C38}\Setup.exe.vir (PUP.Optional.Tarma.A) -> No action taken.
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Users\jimbob\AppData\Roaming\eIntaller\850F4C22072B4b958712184E27B5CFA0\Desk365.exe.vir (PUP.Optional.E7) -> No action taken.

(end)

#14 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

I suspect damage has been done to your system either by malware or be file corruption/registry cleaners. It sounds like it is running better now though.

Many newer latops/pcs come with diagnostics available at startup - eg by pressing F11 or F12. If so, run these, including long hard disk tests. Alternatively, you could  check the hard disk by running SeaTools for DOS. Probably the simplest way to do this is to download UBCD, boot from it and you will find it under hard disk diagnostics. You could also test the stability of the system running PartedMagic from the same CD. It comes with some tools for hardware testing. See http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#15 galbijimbob

galbijimbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Things seem to be running a bit better now. I will check out the programs you advised Adam. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users