Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maybe hard drive failing? Also weird partitions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Durp

Durp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

Hey! I think I'm having a bit of trouble with my laptop, I don't really know enough about computers to know if I even have a problem haha. My laptop started making a weird clicking sound today, and it sounds right where the hard drive is under the hand rest. I Googled what this could mean and read it's a sign of a hard drive failing. The clicks are kind of infrequent; the videos I watched of a failing hard drive made a lot of noise, like very fast vibrating clicks.. at least more noise than mine is making. My clicks are separate and defined but seem to come in pairs, clicking two or three times within a few seconds and then pausing for maybe ten seconds before starting again. It has been doing it that in intervals of maybe five minutes and then stops completely for a good half hour before starting all over again.. it seems like it's clicking more now but maybe I'm just paranoid. It almost sounds like the old click sound effect from like Windows 98.

I don't have a lot of important data on this 'failing' hard drive, I guess I'm just worried about the operating system and drivers or whatever makes this computer run. Like I said I don't know much about computers. I do have a second hard drive from my old laptop in the second bay of this laptop, and I wanted to transfer my operating system and whatever else I would need to make the computer work onto it. Usually I just do research like everyone else and figure stuff out but I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting into and I fear I might not have too long if this thing is failing. Also the first thing I did was look for the 'recovery' partition on the drive or whatever, I figured maybe that had everything and I could just copy that but I couldn't find it. Upon looking at how my hard drive is partitioned in the Computer Management, it's partitioned 4 ways for some odd reason... the regular big one, a 19 GB partition and 2 smaller 400 MB and 300 MB partitions and I have no idea why those are there and I don't even know how to view what's inside of them.

I'd be kind of sad if this HDD was failing... it's less than a year old, the other one from my old laptop is almost 4 years old now and it seems fine. I am running Windows 8, if that makes a difference. I'd appreciate if someone could at least explain things to me, I don't need my hand held exactly... I guess there's just a couple of things I'd like to know:

1. From what I described, is it failing? In your opinion I guess

2. What are the things I'll need to copy over to my other hard drive if I want to stop using this one?

3. Maybe point in the direction of where those things would be and if there's any tricks getting it on the other hard drive

4. Why is the hard drive partitioned weird and how do I see what's in those partitions so I can try to get rid of them if they're useless? Not that it matters if it's going to break anyways haha.

Once again I appreciate it. Sorry for the gigantic story, just trying to let you know what I know so I can be told the right things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Yes it does sound like it is failing.

The 19 GB partition is probably your recovery drive (you can reload the original factory software - clean install of windows and all original applications) Definitely don't want to lose that. The other two are probably debug and startup repair drives (Vista/7/8?) People have said that they've deleted them without issue, but to each his own- I personally would leave them alone.

Sounds like you have an OEM system. Did the failing drive come with the laptop originally?

If so, if you don't clone that drive you'll lose your product key and recovery drive. You'll have to buy a new windows 8 key $199). Cloning will wipe out another drive (I use EaseUs Disk Copy), so if you don't have anything important on the other one you can back up your files on USB and do the clone. I believe if you make a CD of the software and boot from it you should be able to clone one over to the other - I've never tried doing it with 2 drives mounted on a laptop so I would refer to others before attempting this. The usual way of doing it would be using a desktop system and mounting the drives there.

Just my .02

#3 Durp

Durp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

Okay cool. Yeah it's an OEM system, the drive came with the laptop. I don't think I'd have a problem cloning the drive to my other one in the laptop. I do have an external somewhere so I could just transfer and clear it out the soon-to-be-cloned drive and do that. If cloning is the easiest and best option I'll do it. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users