Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Going Deaf *or* Does This Sound Like A Good Build?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Modding Fan

Modding Fan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:53 AM

Hi there! This is going to be a two-in-one post.

First off...I'm going deaf due to the mass amounts of cooling fans in my (aging) computer. (An overclocked AMD system cooled by no less that 6x 80mm fans, plus CPU fan, plus chipset & PSU fans.) So...I'm building myself a new computer (mainly for gaming) and I'll be water cooling it as well. Mostly I play WoW and SWG, always with ITunes in the background. I do a fair amount of photoshop as well as watch DVD's while gaming, working and studying. So...I'm looking for anyone who has experience with any of the below listed cooling options to give me real-world volume perceptions (I can read that a fan is rated at 13db all day and not know what it really means).

Second...Mostly I play WoW and SWG, always with ITunes in the background. I do a fair amount of photoshop as well as watch DVD's while gaming, working and studying. Can anyone give me some advice, recommendations, etc...on my planned build? I've been out of the mainstream computer world for ages (due to my various military postings in third world countries)...and beyond advertisement supported/laced review sites...I'm dry on knowledge.

Here's what I'm going for (system):
Case: CoolerMaster WaveMaster, Black, With Window
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI
Processor: Intel Pentium D 820
Memory: 2Gb DDR2-667 (not sure on manufacturer yet)
Video: XFX Geforce 7900GT
Power Supply: Hiper 580W Modular PSU
HD: 200gb SATA

Cooling:
Danger Den CSP-MAG 12v Pump
Danger Den RBX (3-port) CPU Block
2x Danger Den Maze4 Chipset Blocks (for North/South Bridge cooling)
Danger Den NV78 Video Card Block
Danger Den Micro 2 Radiator (for front of case 2-fan intake position)
Danger Den Micro Radiator (for exhaust port position)
3x Cooler Master Ultra Silent Fan (for the radiators)
ThermalTake Aqua Bay Reservoir

I guess, ultimately my questions are:

1) Does anyone have any real-life experience with the fans/pump I listed? Will this system really be quiet?
2) Will the reservoir from TT be big enough (rated capacity 250cc)? (This is my first water cooling experience.)
3) Should these system specs be able to decimate any, currently on the market, game?
4) Most importantly...what am I missing and what could I improve on?

Thanks heaps...I appreciate any help you all are willing to offer.

Cheers!

Edit: On the advice of Mr. Alpha, I looked into the 7900 series instead of 7800's...great advice, about 10 bucks more for a MUCH better card! Thanks!

Edited by Modding Fan, 27 April 2006 - 11:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:21 AM

IMHO, I'd steer clear of the water cooling. Of course, that's just my opinion. I think that you could get great cooling results with this case from newegg.com HERE. My friend has this case and loves it. It's very quiet, and has fan controls so that you can lower them when you're not gaming, and turn them up a little when you are. Honestly, he has them on low and never moves them. It's also cheaper than the case you're looking at, and will save you money by not having to buy all that water cooling equipment. Not to mention that if you have hard water, you're lines and ports will eventually (within a year) clog due to calcium/impurities building up. Just some food for thought.

Also, for gaming, AMD dual core will spank Intel processors, as proven in benchmarks and in games FPS. I believe that AMD runs cooler than Intel, too, so that'll be less cooling that you'll need, which means that you won't have to crank your fans up to max to cool your system (to help keep you from going deaf :thumbsup: )

So, to answer your questions:

1) I've never used the equpment that you've listed. However, if you want quiet, I'd wonder about having a pump along with the cooling fans. Just seems like more noise that you'd be adding.

2) No clue if that's enough water, sorry!

3) Yes, this system will spank games on the market now. The VGA card, ram and cpu is fast, so you'll be happy with it. It's faster than my mahcine, and I play BF2 on the highest settings with no lag. You'll be fine.

4) I didn't see anything that you were missing (well, nothing jumped out at me). Only thing is to make sure that if you don't go with the water cooler to buy a cooling fan w/heatsync for your cpu. Buying a good one will help you with cooling, too. I would seriously consider going with the case with the fans on it, instead of the water cooling. Again, that's just my opinion though :flowers:

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

I'd jump in on the gaming question and disagree with stevealmighty. The machine will play all the games on the market, but it won't decimate them. With the video card, though good, I'd go for the 7900GT. You can get it at the same price but it outperforms the 7800GT by a good margin, and it runs cooler. Secondly the processor: It has really good value in the right situation but gaming is defiantly not such a situation. On the gaming front AMD rules supreme. And if you really want to overclock you should look into an Optron.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Modding Fan

Modding Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the advice to both of you. :thumbsup:

I was looking at the Intel Dual Core mainly due to recommendations from friends. They mentioned that AMD Dual Core's were much more expensive...so I didn't look at all to be honest.

Guess I'll go shopping around more. Much appreciated!

Will check out the vid-card too.

Cheers!
Pirates are way cooler than ninjas. -Jinx.com

#5 Modding Fan

Modding Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:09 AM

On the topic of "To watercool or not to watercool"...

I'm thinking that the WC'd system will be much less noise.

I'm currently running 5x 80mm fans rated at 28Db each, a processor fan (god knows), a chipset fan, and a 2-fan HD cooler (again, god knows). All of those will be replaced by 3x 13Db 80mm's and the pump.

For coolant, I'm going to be using pre-bottled, non-conductive (*ding* very important) fluid from PCIce. (They have a great video shot of them pouring a bottle of the fluid over a running Motherboard & Video Card to showcase it's non-conductivity...neat to watch).

Anyone out there done a self-contained Watercooled system (not one with an external radiator)? I'd love some advice, pointers, etc.

Thanks again!

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:08 PM

I have to disagree with the case picked out by SteveAlmighty: It doen't have a bay for a 3.5 inch floppy drive. How are the SATA drivers supposed to be loaded when doing the OS install ?

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:49 PM

I have to disagree with the case picked out by SteveAlmighty: It doen't have a bay for a 3.5 inch floppy drive. How are the SATA drivers supposed to be loaded when doing the OS install ?

Hmmm....I dunno about that one pascor22234, I don't have a floppy in my machine. Neither does my son, and my friend who has that case doesn't have a floppy either. IMHO, a floppy is a dying breed of disk readers. However, if you must have one, then you could always get an external USB one. I've never seen them, but there's a few people who have said they have them. I believe that a few people on these forums have said that they have one. No big deal either way. If the drivers come on a floppy, simply transfer them to a CD. Most drivers come on a CD nowadays anyways :thumbsup:

On the flip side, I've heard that water colling works great. I've also heard that it's not worth a penny, too. The usual pros and cons. TBH, I've heard more pros then cons. It must work well, otherwise no company would sell it.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

I guess the only thing you need floppy drives for these days (coz most MB's come with SATA built into the BIOS) is to flash your BIOS - whether or not you can do that with a USB floppy, I don't know...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

I guess the only thing you need floppy drives for these days (coz most MB's come with SATA built into the BIOS) is to flash your BIOS - whether or not you can do that with a USB floppy, I don't know...

The USB drivers load after the OS loads, so to flash the bios (assuming that you'd have do it at restart) you'd need a regular floppy. With that said, mobo manufacturers are going towards a bios update where it's not required to restart the computer. I have an Abit mobo that has an update feature that updates the bios without having to restart the machine. Just need an internet connection.
Posted Image

#10 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

Actually yeah - I forgot! I think I even have that on mine! D'oh
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#11 Modding Fan

Modding Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

Hum...I had no idea that SATA toook additional drivers...I'd just assumed that it worked just like IDE.

Yay...more research!

On that topic...I've seen a couple (literally two) SATA DVD/RW drives...would I expect/notice a performance gain by dropping the coin on these or shoudl I stick with IDE?

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users