Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java confusion 64 or 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 irishgal

irishgal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

New here and so glad to have found this great site :busy:

Just bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows 7 OS and I am not thrilled with it at all because XP was so much easier- I've spent the first week :scratchhead:  or so trying to find everything this darn OS is hiding

Aside from mourning the loss of my mouse which makes me all thumbs - I hope I can get some guidance on the Java issue

Avast said to update Java 6 - so ok, clicked and Java said it detected 32 bit - so I downloaded it

Later went to properties and it says the puter has 64 bit

I did read that Java said some putters use 32 and 64 - Is it advisable to go back now and download the 64 bit also??

Thx a bunch for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 irishgal

irishgal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

oh well

zero  replies

guess I'll go back to google

:(

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Check your Java version here:

Plug a mouse into your laptop.

New laptops generally come with Windows 8.

Will not take you very long to get familiar with Win 7.

Support for XP runs out next year.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

The version of Java you'll want to use is based on whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Internet Explorer. 32-bit Java should run on a 64-bit computer. http://java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

Although, honestly, unless you absolutely have to have Java installed, I'd recommend deleting it. Too many security vulnerabilities. http://www.howtogeek.com/134353/how-to-protect-yourself-from-java-security-problems-if-you-cant-uninstall-it/

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

About Internet Explorer related 32/64 bit type and addons information.

Tekken

#6 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Why do you need Java? Its a known honeypot for malware writers, so just uninstall it unless you have a pressing need for it.

#7 retnaut

retnaut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

Why do you need Java? Its a known honeypot for malware writers, so just uninstall it unless you have a pressing need for it.

It is a honeypot for viruses, but we all know it is essential for browsers.

You downloaded the 32 bit version of Java because Google Chrome, Firefox, and the IE you use are probably all the x86 version.

Don' task me why software devs do not push x64 versions of their software, but they haven't yet.

So in order to use Java in your 32 bit browser, you must use java 32 bit.

If you play minecraft though, download Java 64 bit. You can have both (Java 32 bit and 64 bit) installed and used without a problem.

Best place to do this would be ninite.com and select java.. and download the installer.

Edited by retnaut, 29 September 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#8 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Incorrect. It is not essential for browsers. I cant remember the last time a website asked for Java. You might be thinking of Javascript. Even this is not essential, just that the majority of websites use it, but Java and Javascript are not at all related apart from a similar sounding name.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

FWIW:  OP has not responded to any of these comments.

Louis

#10 retnaut

retnaut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Incorrect. It is not essential for browsers. I cant remember the last time a website asked for Java. You might be thinking of Javascript. Even this is not essential, just that the majority of websites use it, but Java and Javascript are not at all related apart from a similar sounding name.

I know they're not related, but you do not know the other person's browsing habits. Java is essential. Always has been.

#11 irishgal

irishgal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

You guys are great and all replies are much appreciated- 

Not sure why  there are conflicting Java opinions but the main thing is this issue seems to have quieted down on my IE browser.   I was getting pop-ups that I needed to install Java but after more research it appeared I needed to update it. The person who sold me this Toshiba had not updated for a very long time since he wasn't using the laptop at all.

I did not know that Javascsript was not part of Java -so thanks for that info. I haven't got prompts to do so, but is  it advisable to check to see if it requires updating? 

What I had done was to uninstall Java and started fresh- that is when it said it detected 32 bit [confusing because the laptop is 64bit]

So of course, I downloaded the 32 bit

Would it be correct to believe that I can leave things be - unless the issue pops up once again--because I don't do games or any type of complicated projects with my laptop

I was thrilled to find one and would just like to enjoy not being enslaved to a desktop any longer...

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

If it's working properly...no sense in trying to break it :).

Louis

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

Would it be correct to believe that I can leave things be - unless the issue pops up once again

3yBngBv.jpg

You can configure the automatic updates by putting a checkmark and click Advanced for monthly (default) notification if a new version is available.

Tekken

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.Although, Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.
- Why You don't need Java
- W3Techs usage statistics and market share data of Java on the web

I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 tuckerbelle

tuckerbelle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

I know that Java is not required or even recommended, but for those who enjoy gaming on certain web sites, it is necessary. The gaming site I haunt does recommend disabling Java when not in use.

I do have the most recent version of Java installed and while it works on Firefox, it does not work (for me) on IE 10. Even though I have followed, as best I can anyway, the trouble shooting instructions for IE, some things to check in "Options" simply do not exist. I have heard that IE 10 is not configured to run Java, but I do get popups recommending its installation from time to time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users