Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Earning money by hosting data processing servers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Taoki

Taoki

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hello. I am a 24 year old from Romania, currently a student in IT school. Despite my age, I don't have a job yet for several reasons... primarily anxiety disorders and most tasks being more than I can handle. I've still been looking to earn money from my limited computer skills for a while. A few weeks ago I thought about something that I could do easily: Running a server farm for any service which pays for such. I heard of super-computing in the past, and even ran a voluntary server. I know about such servers being used in research, render farms, and I assume the practice exists for other tasks too such as large scale code compilers.

In essence, this is what I'm looking for: I register an username on the website of the service and add my Paypal or bank account to it. I then download their application, configure it to login to my user, then leave it running in the background. The program can use the machine to process and upload data. Based on the work it did in a day / week / month, the service adds the amount of money it sees fit to my account. Sadly I don't suspect anything this simple exists yet, but it's what I'm generally hoping for. There are only a few things I care about specifically:

- I don't want a gun pointed to my head about the server's uptime. 99% of the time it would be up 24/7, but there are cases of power or internet failures and I might not immediately detect if the machine or program freezes. In essence: If it goes down for a week, don't pay a penny for that week, but also don't send emails saying "if it's not up in a day you're fired" (in this case banned from the service).

- The service must not rely on my machine permanently storing data. I want to make a server for processing, not hosting. It can of course unload and cache anything within the drive's space limit... just not rely on the files being there forever, or hold me responsible if everything on the drive is lost for some reason.

- The service must be able to send money either to my debit card (bank BCR from Romania) or Paypal account. The first is preferred, since I don't trust PP that much.

- The application must run natively on Linux. I no longer have Windows or plan to get it again.

If those requirements are met, the software is free to fully use the machine's resources (100% CPU / RAM / drive space) and do whatever it wants through them. It can also use all the bandwidth it needs, although I might limit the server's connection in the router to avoid it slowing down my desktop. I'm not looking to make a fortune from this, and any payment is ok... although I'd prefer a service that offers at least 100$ a month. I'm willing to buy expensive server parts for this, and if all goes well I might gradually build more servers.

What I'd like to know first of all is what services or companies pay anyone for offering data processing servers. Second, what hardware should I get for such a machine, and what should I focus on most (CPU, memory, video card, drive space)? Also, which Linux distribution is best for the job?

Edited by Taoki, 26 September 2013 - 06:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Taoki

Taoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

I looked more into this and asked in several places. For anyone interested in the same thing, I thought I'd post an update. Also wanted to ask one more thing after that.

It seems that super computing and renting processing power isn't as common as I thought, and there aren't any reliable ways of doing this. I did however find two similar approaches, although in my case neither work:

The first and most common is bitcoin mining. I initially had some hopes with that, but sadly it's not a task for the average user. Mining takes a huge amount of processing power, and requires special hardware to work at expected performance. Even if you get said hardware, it consumes so much electricity that it outweighs your power bill. Still glad I learned about bitcoin during this search however... it's a really amazing idea and I hope it will go far.

The second option is a system that's being developed precisely for this purpose, called Digital Generation ( http://www.digitalgenaretion.tk/ ). Their idea is exactly what I was looking for. Unless it's a complete scam (which I doubt) it might be the first service which pays internet users for renting resources. The reason it doesn't help me is that it doesn't seem to have a Linux version and doesn't support PayPal yet. When both issues are fixed I'll try it out.

As for the question I mentioned: Considering I could handle the obligation of permanent uptime, and would buy a hard drive about 2TB. What services can I run a server for to get money? Web hosting and file hosting are the most common options, but I'm looking for something more unique. Are there other programs and services which pay people to host and maintain servers for them? Once again I'm not looking to get rich... but at least 1$ a day would be something.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

You won't get far with a 2TB hard drive and a PC unless you are serving unique naked photographs... If you are looking at hosting that is.

You need money to make money in this industry... Unless you think up your own idea, but don't share it if you do or you'll get routed.

#4 Taoki

Taoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

I see. I remember hearing of people who host various things on home PC's for small sums of money. Not sure what to do if not even that works... guess I'll have to wait till another idea that works pops to mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users