Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite Touchpad not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Twinbird

Twinbird

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Toshiba Satellite L735 PSK08C-03200T notebook and the touchpad is not working. I have the latest BIOS update and I've tried installing the touchpad driver from the Toshiba website but the touchpad doesn't even show up in device manager. When I take the keyboard off I can see that the touchpad/buttons are connected to the motherboard (the ribbon cable is not disconnected). In BIOS I have "Internal Pointing Device" set to "Enabled." Pressing the button about the touchpad or the Fn+F9 key doesn't do anything either.

So I'm wondering if the touchpad is physically damaged (in which case I'd need to buy a replacement or just use a wireless mouse) or if there's something else I can still try. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

A couple things I am thinking of. I know some toshiba laptops have a little button right above the touchpad that can disable the touchpad, check that. It could be a registry issue also. Did you happen to download any windows updates lately?

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Have you tried a USB mouse?

Is there a light on the touchpad? Is it on solid (not blinking)?

Can you describe in detail when it happened? What were you doing the last time the touchpad worked? Has the notebook been dropped?

Which driver did you try? Synaptics? You could try uninstalling any touchpad software you may have installed.

#4 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the quick responses.

A couple things I am thinking of. I know some toshiba laptops have a little button right above the touchpad that can disable the touchpad, check that. It could be a registry issue also. Did you happen to download any windows updates lately?

I've clicked the button above the touchpad and it didn't help (I've even tried holding it down for a bit, still no help). I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and a bunch of updates were subsequently installed when I connected to the internet (touchpad didn't work before the updates and it didn't work after any of the updates either). 

Have you tried a USB mouse?

Is there a light on the touchpad? Is it on solid (not blinking)?

Can you describe in detail when it happened? What were you doing the last time the touchpad worked? Has the notebook been dropped?

Which driver did you try? Synaptics? You could try uninstalling any touchpad software you may have installed.

USB mouse works fine. There is no light at all around the touchpad. It's not my laptop (a friend's, I'm helping fix it but got stuck once I got to the touchpad) I'm waiting for them to respond to me and tell me what happened before the touchpad stopped working. I'm guessing the notebook was dropped... I installed the Synaptics driver, it was the only one available on the website for this model and it's the only driver I have installed.

#5 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hmm if it still doesnt work after a installing a fresh OS, I cant think of any other solutions since we tried all the disable keys and restoring it would fix any registry issues. Plus you said a mouse works with it fine...

Sincerely, Blake.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

I think the next step would be hardware. There's a ribbon cable that connects the touch pad to the motherboard. I would check the connection at both ends.

Worse case at this point would be replacing the top cover and touch pad.

#7 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for the responses. I took the cover off and inspected the wires, they were all connected but I disconnected/ reconnect all of them anyway and now it works! :P 

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Good deal

#9 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the responses. I took the cover off and inspected the wires, they were all connected but I disconnected/ reconnect all of them anyway and now it works! :P

Nice, could have gotten little loose or something. Good call Netghost56.

Sincerely, Blake.

#10 rickrockport

rickrockport

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Short answer: Close lid(screen), remove battery, open lid(screen) and it should work now. Close lid partially to replace battery. If it doesn't work the first time, leave the battery out for 3 minutes, replace and then open lid.

Long answer: I was having trouble with my 2001 Mercury Sable air conditioner blend door (stuck on hot air). I had it replaced several times and a dealer even sold me on replacing the computer unit. So several thousand dollars later I decided to replace the blend door myself when it went out again. I bought the door actuator for about $35 and went to the net to find out where to put it and how to do it and I found a tip from someone else with the same problem. He said to remove the negative battery cable for 3 minutes and replace it. Well it worked and I have done it several times since and it keeps fixing the problem.

I had been having the touchpad quit on my Toshiba laptop since it was new. I carried a USB mouse with me everywhere just in case. So the next time I lost the touchpad I tried the battery solution and wow! After years of trying every software solution I could find, here was a simple solution. I hope it will work for you too. It sure doesn't cost much and doesn't take much time to try it either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users