Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Some Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 george321

george321

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

I am using A HP6620 Desktop with Win7. Some of my txt, doc, image files will not open. I get the following messages. Access To file name Was denied or Windows Photo Viewer Can't open this Picture Because You Don't Have The Correct Permissions To Access The file Location. Other files of these same extensions open ok. I tried Taking Ownership but there was no change. I did a reinstall of win7 a few months ago but don't know when this problem really started as I don't open some of these files often. I am the administrator. Any suggestions? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

If you scroll down on these:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

you can see that some of the files might have been inadvertently moved when you did the reinstall, or your security ID changed as a result of the reinstall. Check the properties of the files (right click, select Properties) -- you may be able to give yourself the proper NTFS permissions that way.

Are any of these files encrypted? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/How-do-I-open-a-file-if-I-get-an-access-denied-message

#3 george321

george321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Thank you sflate for the suggestions. I did check these things. Tha only thing I saw that was questionable was the check marks under the ALLOW column were not bright but were faded out as if they were not yet active. Other than that everything looked correct. I expected to get some answers from others that had the same problem. i can't believe this only happened to me. Thanks again.

PS - Checked some other files doing the same thing. Their check marks were brite but still could not get in so it probably means nothing.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

So are you able to open the files now?

When you do a reinstall and find you can't open certain files, sometimes after taking ownership you have to right click each file, go to Properties, Security tab and give yourself full control permission. You do that by selecting yourself from the Group or users name list, and then click Edit.

Another trick that seems to work is move the files to your desktop and open them from there, or create a new folder, move the files to the new folder, and open them from the new file. Moving the files to the desktop or new folder should automatically change the permissions set on the file and allow you access.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users