Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot windows 8 and 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

A question for someone.I have an Asus desktop with Windows 8.I can't for the life of me change the boot order.In the BIOS it only shows the hard drive and not the cd-drive.I posted some help on here before on how to do it but nothing worked.Tried to google for an answer and tried tech.support but can't get through to them.I do know how to dual boot,have done it numerous times before.My question is:Can I put the operating disc in and run it from there or do I have to reboot and boot from the cd-drive

which I cannot do,Thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hello plumber,

You won't be able to include the optical drive in the boot sequence until it is recognized by the BIOS. If it worked before, this non-recognition could be due to a defective drive, cable, or a motherboard component. If it never worked, It might be a hardware option (jumper configuration) set incorrectly on the back of your optical drive as well. Good luck.

#3 TheJoker

TheJoker

• Security Colleague
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

If your system can boot from a USB drive, you could prepare a USB drive to boot from for the install. This would, however, require a working CD/DVD drive to read your disc. If you could do that on another system, see this link for how to prepare the flash drive:
http://tweaks.com/windows/39415/how-to-install-windows-7-and-8-using-a-usb-flash-drive/
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2227-create-bootable-usb-dvd-windows-8-iso.html

If your CD/DVD drive works, and you just can't figure out how to boot from it, you could also copy the disc to a folder on your hard drive and run setup from the sources folder. It's important to run it from the sources folder and not the setup found in the root directory:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2344-dual-boot-installation-windows-8-windows-7-vista.html

That tutorial is for installing Windows 8 as a dual boot onto a system that has Windows 7 on it, but it also works the other way around. It's how I installed Windows 7 on my Asus Windows 8 laptop.

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

Thanx guys for the help,I did find an answer totally by accident.It has never worked from the get-go.That is the way ASUS sets up there puters and I can't find it in the BIOS.I left a boot cd in the drive by mistake.A week went by and I forgot about it.I tapped the F8 key to get into safe mode and instead an option came up to boot

from CD.I also tried my flash drive and that too came up.From what I can figure as long as you have a bootable

cd in the drive you'll have access through the F8 key.You would think ASUS would include that in there manual.

I am satisfied with the puter but can never get through to tech.support.Probably will not buy another one.

Anyway,thank-you all for your help.

#5 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

Glad you figured it out! Thanks for sharing your fix. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users