Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What updates are worth having?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 level2

level2

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

Greetings, We have one computer, the one I use, at our mountain home, with Linux as it's Operating System..

There are constant updates. I have no idea which should be installed if any. 

Can  you help me with this, or should I reject them all? 

Thanks Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

You must keep your OS update. You shouldn't reject them all, but you have to install them all. (Unless you have problem with bandwidth restriction.)

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 level2

level2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

You must keep your OS update. You shouldn't reject them all, but you have to install them all. (Unless you have problem with bandwidth restriction.)

Thank you.

How can I tell if it is an OS update?

#4 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Which Linux you have?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

First thing, go through everything that's installed and get rid of anything you don't want or need. (If you don't know what it is, leave it alone.) For instance, I ude LibreOffice on some machines and not others. I uninstall everything related on those I don't use it on. I also have a file manager I like, but it doesn't come with preinstalls. Usually when I uninstall the ones that come default, there are a lot of other things that are free to be uninstalled as well ince they're only there to support the thing(s) i get rid of.

If you use Synaptic for all of this, you can look under Installed (autoremovable) after you get rid of things and you will often see other things that you can get rid of. You can also use Installed to just go through the things you have installed instead of the entire list of what's installed and what's available. Both of those are included in the Status section.

Once you have it down to what you really use, accept all updates. Some of them may not be urgent, but you can't always know which are and which aren't. It's safest to go ahead and get them to make sure something with a vulnerabilty isn't hanging around on the system.

Yes, linux gets vulnerabilities, too. Not like that other thing gets. Not as many, usually not as bad, and certainly not as often as that other thing either.

It's best to stay ahead of things. Nothing is perfect. (Especially Windows.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users