Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 in Toshiba Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fairwind

fairwind

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Greetings to all ....

My wife and I have purchased a Toshiba Satellite Pro C870D for our daughter. Because our daughter is not computer savvy, I have installed the applications she uses and have setup the internet connections etc etc.

The problem we have, as we are not familiar with Win 8 or laptops, is that this new laptop appears to have no method for "Shutdown" or "Restart". Or maybe this is a function that Toshiba have introduced?? I have discovered that the usual "Start" button is no longer built into Win 8 and to get the "desktop" I must click the "M/soft key" on the keyboard. As I understand computers, it is not very good to simply hit the on/off switch!

So, I am stuck with this problem and seek ideas, assistance or solutions.

Thanks to all who respond ....

fairwind

Down with all Hackers and similar types...

fairwind

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Josef1994

Josef1994

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

You can move the cursor to the upper corner or lower corner to the right of your screen and a bar will appear, choose setting and choose the option Power :)

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

As above post,

On the Start screen, with the tiles (or the Desktop screen by clicking the desktop tile), 
move mouse pointer to top right or bottom right corner to reveal icons

Choose settings icon at the bottom and then 'Power'

Or Windows Key plus C will reveal those icons

Or if on the desktop, the old Alt plus F4, should give you the shutdown menu

Or you can adjust the power settings to define the activity of the laptop, when you press the off button or close the lid, etc
------------------------------------

(other options:

You can create a shutdown shortcut Tile, or install Classic Shell, if you wish, if you prefer the Win 7 look.)

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

See the reply in the duplicated post on your question, at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509035/win-8-in-toshiba-laptop/

#5 fairwind

fairwind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

Greetings and a big "Thankyou" to all respondants.

Your replies above have indeed solved my problem ! Tricky little changes to M/softs op systems keep me on my toes, lol.

Our daughter now has her new laptop and is "over the moon" with it. So much so that in her excitement she d/loaded some app she thought she wanted and got her l/top in a muddle!! She could'nt solve it so I had another look at it for and she is again up and away. She is now under strict instructions not to d/load anything new without checking home first!!

Down with all Hackers and similar types...

fairwind

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:41 AM

You can do a backup through File History, which you will find in the Control panel, so that you can keep a fresh update on her profile.  I mainly use the Windows login for my profile, so that it restores some things when I have to do a reinstall of the operating system, or have to use a different Windows 8 machine.

Invest in Acronis True Image, to make a backup image of the hard drive.  Helps if she royally fubar's the machine, and you cannot rescue it.  I would also suggest getting the extended & accidental warrant for the unit.  I have already had to send my son's Satellite in for a Keyboard repair, due to he spilt Chocolate milk on it.  Total turn around was less than four days, from the time we sent it in, to the time we got it back.  Well worth the extra money.  I only did a year on it last year, but plan on extending it, since he is accident prone as boys go with stuff.  He has had his Samsung Galaxy S4 Active, less than two months, and already broke the cover glass on that.  Explained to him that I am done paying for his foul-ups, but the computer I am covering, since we paid for it, and I am the go to guy for the family, when it comes to computers.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:43 AM

To add, I put a Crucial 250GB M500 SSD in my Toshiba Satellite C850D, and bumped the RAM up to 12GB.  Made a huge improvement in access speed, and also there is less risk of hard drive crash, since it is Solid state RAM, vs. moving platters.  That is the only other items that I would suggest for her unit.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

this is what I found on another site and is what I use for a shutdown icon on the desktop .

right click on the desktop and click on new ,then shortcut ,in the field type in or copy this .

shutdown.exe /s /t 0

save it ,then right click on the icon and go properties ,choose change icon ,I used the big red X ,save and you should have I icon to shutdown win8 ,good luck

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

I have Shutdown and Reboot Tiles on the Start screen, (and this method also leaves the shortcut icons on the Desktop). I made some of the tiles smaller, to ensure that the new Tiles display easily.

Creating a shutdown tile for Windows 8:

1. Start, in Desktop mode, which you can reach by clicking / tapping the Desktop tile 
or pressing Win-D (Windows key and the letter D).

2. Right-click in any open spot on the desktop, then choose New, Shortcut.

3. To make a Shutdown shortcut, in the location field, type:     shutdown /p    and then click Next.

4. Choose a different name for the shortcut if you want, or leave it as "Shutdown," then click Finish.

5. Right-click the new shortcut and choose 'Pin to Start'.

The next time you return to the Start screen (Metro), you should see a Shutdown tile. 
One click or tap and your machine should immediately shut down.

You can also use this method to create a Reboot tile. 

Just substitute the following text in step 3:      shutdown /r /t 0   (That's a zero at the end)

Note that using the Reboot tile will immediately reboot Windows, with no second-chance warning.

Edited by petewills , 06 October 2013 - 07:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users