Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 in Toshiba Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fairwind

fairwind

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

Greetings to all ....

My wife and I have purchased a Toshiba Satellite Pro C870D for our daughter. Because our daughter is not computer savvy, I have installed the applications she uses and have setup the internet connections etc etc.

The problem we have, as we are not familiar with Win 8 or laptops, is that this new laptop appears to have no method for "Shutdown" or "Restart". Or maybe this is a function that Toshiba have introduced?? I have discovered that the usual "Start" button is no longer built into Win 8 and to get the "desktop" I must click the "M/soft key" on the keyboard. As I understand computers, it is not very good to simply hit the on/off switch!

So, I am stuck with this problem and seek ideas, assistance or solutions.

Thanks to all who respond ....

fairwind

Down with all Hackers and similar types...

fairwind

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

Move your mouse to the bottom-right of the metro (start) screen. A menu should appear on the right-hand side. Click PC settings and the "Shut Down" option will appear:

6zi3.png

Edited by myopinion, 27 September 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Ctrl-Alt-Del will still bring up the old screen, that will give you the Shutdown option in the lower right corner.  Suggest installing Start8 with Modern Mix, from Stardock Software.  She will find it a lot easier to use, then using the whole Metro interface.  Plus people are finding issues with the metro apps, especially like IE.  Also suggest having her use Chrome with WOT (Web of Trust), Adblock Plus, and for the computer anti-virus/malware, just use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Windows 8.1 will bring back the desktop, but not the conventional All Programs, unless they have that fixed with the final release.  When I was playing with the Beta, you could not get the All Programs in the Desktop, when you chose to boot to desktop.

With the Stardock Modern Mix, the Metro apps can be ran Windowed, Full Screen, or on the Metro interface.  Nice if she uses Netflix over watching on Chrome, but some find the Netflix metro app slower in rendering speed.

#4 fairwind

fairwind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

OK, my apologies for not acknowledging sooner to members who responded !! Very poor manners on my part !!

I did in fact discover the solutions mentioned after much fossicking around. Our disabled daughter has been "up and running" with her new laptop successfully.

I have also checked my settings and discovered that replies were not able to be sent by email. Not checking all the details, again !

Thank you both ....

Down with all Hackers and similar types...

fairwind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users