Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Blank Screen After Logon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andy123

Andy123

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

My computer is having this weird problem where when I finish logging in, the desktop would just be purely blank. The mouse cursor does show up and i can control it, but none of the normal desktop things would show up (wallpaper, taskbar, icons...). If I hold down the power button and force shutdown, and then go into the safe mode when i start up, all would be normal (except for the wallpaper of course due to the safe mode). If i restart from there i would be able to get my desktop back. However if i reboot the problem comes back.

Also, the computer lags significantly when the desktop is gone since the task manager usually goes to "not responding" state.

Is there a way i can fix this problem? Restore point would not be an option since the problem started about two years ago when it was not very serious. I tried to locate the problem but explorer.exe and dwm.exe are both there...

Please help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

Could be a problem with corrupted system files. If you can get to a command prompt, type cmd in the search bar, right click the command prompt icon, select run as administrator, and run the command sfc /scannow.

If that doesn't work, try running from a clean boot. Don't try this if you're not comfortable with advanced level troubleshooting. Also be aware, this is a time-consuming methods.

Click the Start button, type msconfig in the search box, press enter.
Click the Services tab, check "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click "Disable All" if it is not grayed out.
Click the Startup tab, click "Disable All" and click OK.
Restart the computer. When the System Configuration Utility window appears, check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
If the issue disappears in the clean boot environment, turn half the Microsoft services back on, and restart the computer. If the problem doesn't recur, turn the other half of the Microsoft services back on. Once the problem reoccurs, turn services off and on to narrow it down more specifically.

Or, you can just launch the clean boot troubleshooter from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Hope that helps. But if this has been going on for a while now, it may be hard to pin down at this point.

#3 Andy123

Andy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hi Sflatechguy,

Is the clean boot safe? Since a clean boot will also deactivate my antivirus services on startup, can my computer become heavily infected if the problem is caused by a remote hacker? I want to make sure that my data and programs are safe before I debug this problem.

Also, i have noticed a possible cause for the problem. I have been to China, and there i installed a software called "360 safeguard", a quite popular anti-malware there. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/360_Safeguard) However when i came back from the trip i have heard some rumors saying it is a malware itself. So i uninstalled it and the restart straight after the uninstallation was when the problem began.

After i uninstalled it, I started using Microsoft Security Essentials which was actually disabled by a malware, and my computer became infected with a lot of viruses. I did fix the problem and i have Kaspersky Security Scan, Avast! Internet Security and Malwarebytes installed so it is unlikely that i have a virus on my computer. I am NOT sure, however, if the damage by the viruses are undone...

I hope these information can help you debugging my computer.

Thanks.

Edited by Andy123, 26 September 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Best best is to run a full antivirus scan first, if you can, then do the clean boot.

#5 Andy123

Andy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have started full scans on all my anti-malware softwares and the malwarebytes returned no results. Avast! and Kaspersky has not finished scans yet.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Good.

Although best practice is not to have multiple anitvirus programs installed and running. They can and will interfere with one another and even produce false positives, with one misidentifying the activity of another as malware. At some point, I recommend picking one and uninstalling all the others.

#7 Andy123

Andy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will pick one to uninstall.

I will update the thread after the scans are finished.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

Ok. Just to be clear, you really should uninstall all but one of your antivirus programs, and stick with that one. All the programs you listed are good, so I'll leave it to you to pick which one to keep, and uninstall the rest.

#9 Andy123

Andy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

scan returned no results and i uninstalled kaspersky security scan.

the problem seems to be gone for the last few reboots.

i will update the post if the problem resurfaces

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Is that sfc scan, or antivirus? In any event, hopefully that's the end of it. :thumbup2:  If not, post back here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users