Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my power supply bad?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheBeezKneez

TheBeezKneez

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

EDIT (topic title): Is my power supply bad?

I just finished building my first PC. I connected it to a monitor via VGA onto the motherboard and turned it on. Fans all turn on but there is no output on the screen. I triple check that all cables and are plugged in correctly and what not. I try again but this time without the GPU connected and it boots up fine. I can enter BIOS and install Windows. So now I am left to think that I have received a bad GPU.

I turn off the computer after Windows has installed and plug the GPU back in. Instead of connecting to the monitor through VGA (directly into the motherboard), I connect the graphics card via HDMI into my television instead of my monitor because it does not support HDMI. Now the computer boots up fine with the graphics and I can enter BIOS and boot up Windows. I reboot and change the settings in the BIOS so that the computer boots up straight to integrated graphics rather than the GPU (because I have yet to install drivers). I boot to Windows and everything is running fine. I use the computer for just over an hour and the screen just goes black. I can hear all the fans running but the screen displays no output. I restart the computer and all the fans turn on but nothing is being displayed.

I have tried many things including

1) reapplied thermal paste to cpu

2) reseated ram and even tried booting with only one stick as well as none 

3)I have bought a one of those cheap PSU testers and checked it. it tested fine with all LED's lighting up and nothing wrong. I know this means that I am getting power but I can also be getting the wrong voltages, right?

4) i have replaced the motherboard (same model) and problem persists. 

What could be the problem? Could it even be the CPU?

Any suggestions and help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43
PSU: Corsair CX Series 600 Watt (80 PLUS Bronze) 
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB (100352-3L)
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blue 2x4GB 1600MHz

Edited by TheBeezKneez, 25 September 2013 - 11:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Sounds like you have done a great deal of testing on your issue and you have explained it very well. In fact, I think you have eliminated many of the possible causes by the work you have done so far. With that said, the following questions remain:

After your screen turned black and remained that way on reboot, were you ever able to get back into Windows after a period of time? If so, could there be a possible heat issue that is most likely related to your CPU, thermal compound application, and/or cooling scheme? If not, have you tried connecting your monitor (not TV) to the VGA or DVI integrated port on your motherboard to see if that works for a longer period of time?

Also, if you were able to get back into Windows, were there any Event Logs that were generated coincident with your failures?

Edited by myopinion, 27 September 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#3 TheBeezKneez

TheBeezKneez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Thank you, myopinion, for your help and suggestions. It actually ended up being a bad stick of RAM that wouldn't let me post. I took them back to BestBuy and got a different brand. These work perfectly fine and my computer boots up with problems.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post some suggestions. I really appreciate it.

#4 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi BeezKneez,

I originally thought you had that covered with the "one stick at a time test" but who cares now because you got it fixed! And, BTW, I think you did an admiral job of troubleshooting at that! Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users