Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM upgrade for old computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cookiemueller

cookiemueller

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

My computer died and in the interim, until I can get a new one, I'm using my quite old emachines T2245. The RAM is pretty terrible (256mb) so I'd like to upgrade it obviously. The RAM is DDR PC2100. I know nothing about RAM. Can I use the RAM from my old computer, which is DDR PC3200? I presumed not, but when I was looking online to buy upgrades a lot of sites were listing PC3200 RAM as compatible with this computer.

This old computer actually had some issues when I first hooked it up again with the RAM not being connected correctly (was giving me the beeps/not starting up). Perhaps from being moved around/sitting for a few years. I had to go in there and remove it and reconnect it, so I didn't want to mess with it anymore until I knew I had the correct RAM to go in there. If this one dies on me too, I'm stuck with the iphone as my only "computer" for a while...not desirable, haha.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

I actually have an eMachine T1742 and it too came stock with only 256MB PC2100. It seems nearly impossible to find actual documentation with full specs on these systems. But you definitely can use PC3200 in there. I believe they allow for 1GB stick per slot but not certain if it will run at DDR400. Chipset may limit the RAM to run at a slower speed. Either way, yes it is backwards compatible so you can use PC3200.

#3 cookiemueller

cookiemueller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and gave it a try. At first only putting in (1) 512mb of the pc3200 along with the stock pc2100 256mb. It booted fine, but everything said I just had 256mb so I thought maybe they couldn't work together (again I have no clue how this works). Tried just (1) 512mb pc3200, nothing. Computer wouldn't come on at all. Tried with 2 512mb, same thing. Went back to my 256mb and it worked fine. So perhaps this computer isn't capable? Or perhaps those 512mb pc3200 RAMs just aren't right? I dunno. Looks like I'm stuck with a seriously slow computer for a while. Big downgrade going from 4GB of RAM to 256MB, let me tell you! haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users