Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen followed by fake Adobe Flash update on reboot... winstart.bat avast?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 effingmalware

effingmalware

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hi. Running winxp.  I recently cleansed my comp of malware but I think I may have become reinfected.  After typing a google search I had a blue screen crash has  never happened  before.  Further, upon the reboot I was prompted to install an Adobe Flash update.  Feeling a bit paranoid I opted not to install it. I have avast free installed so I checked in it's software updater security tool and it said that Flash was still up to date.  Fishy?  Seems so to me...

Anyway, other strange things are that when scanning in avast, I get an unreadable file which says that it is offline called winstart.bat.  I have seen this before on an old windows 7 computer as well.  Is it a virus?  I have read alot about this result on other sites where some people say it is nothing to worry about while others say it is a virus.  Any ideas?  

Oh. and a final other strangeness... When I scan in Hitman pro (trial version), it errors on deleting cookies in Chrome.  It says 'delete failed' but it never used to when I first started using Hitman.  Any ideas on that?  

Mbam scans are fine. No results. What should I do?  Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2013 - 09:59 AM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users