Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost INSIPENT CPU user

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 winchester_101

winchester_101

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hello all,

Haven't posted here in many moons (mostly because all has been good and I haven't needed any help and I don't feel qualified to help others), although I do check in once in a while to just keep up on stuff.

Anywho, I recently did a clean reload of Win XP SP3 on my laptop (due to some latent performance issues), as I have done regularly in the past few years, and now I find that EVERYTIME I do a boot that there is an svchost.exe running in my Task Manager that consumes nearly 100% of my (modest) CPU usage. 

There seem to be several instances of svchost running from time to time, but CONSISTENTLY one will consume 90%+ of my CPU, which has never happened in the past when I have done a clean load.

Now, as soon as I boot into XP, I open task manager, select the svchost.exe that is consuming the most resources, "end" it and then everything works great. HOWEVER, if I don't take this (annoying) step, then my machine runs so slow as to be unusable.

Any ideas how to stop this PITA? (I'll soon be retiring this dinosaur and running only Win 7 & 8 machines, but I'd like to get at least a few more months out of this laptop).

As far as specifics, if they matter, I am running a Compag Presario C500 laptop with 512m Ram and a 100gig hard drive. My operating system (as stated) is a clean load of Win XP SP3, installed only days ago.

This problem persists EVERYTIME I turn this machine on. I understand (I think) that svchost is a common application that runs for various functions, but this particular iteneration is driving me to drinking.

Any thought? Or do I just need to scrap this old machine/OS and focus on my WIn 7/8 machines?

Thanks

W101

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

Try this link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users