Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted Popups/adware/spyware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maimaimai

maimaimai

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:11 AM

help! since im having problems with my norton anti-virus, i've been bombarded with unwanted popups of ads. i dont know what to do. im still waiting for a reply from norton regarding the problem with their software. is there a way that i could eliminate these unwanted ads or virus or spyware while waiting for their response? i cant even access my email! thanks! id appreciate all the help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolfnadrid

Wolfnadrid

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:26 AM

If you can successfully surf the web to some online security scans, I'd suggest giving first http://www.xblock.com/onlinescan.php (antispyware scanner)
then http://housecall.trendmicro.com (antispyware and antivirus) a try to see if you can at least thin the malware down the quick and simple way.

If still getting bombarded ads can try some more powerful downloadable antispyware tools such as http://www.ewido.net scanner and the likes of http://www.moosoft.com ('the cleaner' tool) and utilize their lovely limited time trial versions.

I generally suggest this before give the hijackthis route as its a bit more of an involve process, but that would be plan C.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't work here, I just pretend"

I spend all 8 hour of my work day fixing other stupid humans computer problems... do you really think I wanna fix your computer?... ohh free stuff for it, well why didn't you say so!

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:49 AM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

It is possible you are infected with something that has defeated Norton. This is a trait of many infections. Follow the advice of Wolfnadrid, that would be a good place to start. Let us know how it goes.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:23 AM

Here are the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 maimaimai

maimaimai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

hi guys, it worked! i tried the xblocker and the one from trendmicro like you said and it did reduce the amount of popups/spyware/adware i get. there are still some very persistent ones though. but i'll install the ewido just in case. thanks so much!!! you're a lifesaver :-)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

Your welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif