Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Woes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve80

Steve80

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508513/windows-could-not-search-for-new-updates/ ' Hamluis.

My problem fits the thread, but has different symptoms - I cannot get Windows Update to work at all.

I have a new (well, shop demo) Lenovo G570 laptop running Win 7 Home Premium, x64, 2.50Ghz, i5, 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD.  A-virus (Kaspersky IS 2013) is installed and full scan run.  
Selecting Windows Update brings up a panel with a fat red left margin and the shield in red, with a "clear" cross on it.  Clicking "Check for Updates" produces the error message : "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running.  You may need to restart your computer."

Restarting makes no difference (I've tried both cold and warm reboots, several times), and anyway the service is running.  Both "Control panel > Admin Tools > Services" and "Start > All Progs >[etc] > Software Environment > Services" report that "wuauserv" is running, and so does a nice utility called "What's Running".

Thank you Sikntired, I have tried both the solutions in post #2 - "Netsh winsock reset" (no problem) and "sfc /scannow" ("Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations") - without success.  I have also looked in "Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off" but can't see anything appropriate.  (I wish I'd stayed with XP - I understood that !)

I have a "new" version of Win 7, i.e. without  Service pack 1 or ANY updates, and I feel vulnerable.

Anyone heard of this fault before ?

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2013 - 08:33 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

How to troubleshoot problems connecting to Windows Update or to Microsoft Update

Downloading and installing SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center

Tekken

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

The "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running" (and other errors) is a common issue after replacing a hard drive, especially if the new drive is larger than the one it replaced and is an Advanced Format drive.

See these two related topics: Windows Search and Indexing crashing - Windows Update won't run

However, you can try this: Microsoft Fix it: Windows Update cannot check for updates, because the service is not running
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Steve80

Steve80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

Thank you jhayz for the SP1 download link, and to you quietman7 .  I did search on the error "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running", but failed to come up with your excellent link to kb 2730071 - which doubtless would have worked.  Incidentally mine is supposed to be a new machine, so the HDD had not been replaced, and this was a fault from OEM installation.

The machine then refused to download the SP1, halting with the message "Windows6.1-kb9769323-x64.part could not be saved because the source file could not be read".  I'd had just the same message earlier when trying to download .Net framework 4.0, needed for Kaspersky I.S. 2014, so I began to think I still had a nasty (rootkit?) virus aboard, despite the clean scan.  Other files downloaded without trouble.

However I was able to download SP1 on another machine, transfer it across and install it - and now everything is FIXED !  But I suppose it is curious that "sfc /scannow" failed to find anything wrong when SP1's overwriting of some system files was able to solve the problem.

The cure is a huge relief - thank you guys so much for your rapid help !!

Steve

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Persistence pays off.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users