Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was my computer hacked? 2 questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

So, when I got back today from class and tried to access my laptop, my computer just wouldn't take my password. I don't know why. I tried everything. I used my old passwords. I made sure my caps wearn't on. EVERYTHING, but nothing worked. I don't think I put my password in wrong. I usually don't have to think about my password. I just put it in. Anyways, I took my laptop to my campus's ResNet so they could get it to work. One of the guys put a flash drive into my computer so I could reset my computer's password. This worked. They ran my computer and there was a virus on my computer, which doesn't make sense because I have a 2-year subscription to Webroot SecureAnywhere. I haven't downloaded or been on any dangerous sites. I've done COUNTLESS scans. I'm thinking this might be related to my roommate. He brought a router for our room and had to put his password into my computer so I could connect to his router. Could he've hacked my computer through this? Lastly, is it possible for my computer to be damaged from having the people at ResNet having to reset my computer's password. They told that I might've lost some data when they did all this. Is it possible for any future downloads to be messed up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

Hi -

Please try to start in Safe Mode from Boot and see if this allows you access to your system.

An actual infection can exist without being a "virus", but it may be another type of infection.

Once you can boot your system, we can try a few clean-up programs -

Thank You -

#3 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

I got my computer back from ResNet today. They cleaned it. I confused on a few things though. When I got my computer, they said my computer had 200+ sources of malware on it. When they did the first scans on my computer using CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials, they only picked up a few pieces of malicious data. It was only when they took the hard drive out of my computer and scanned it on another computer was when they picked up 200+ pieces of malicious data, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Like I said, I'm using 2-year subscription to Webroot SecureAnywhere on it. I've done HUNDREDS of scans (quick scans, full scans, custom scans), and NOTHING has popped up as malicious. I've even used Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and Microsoft Security Essentials in the past. Nothing was tracked as malicious. I checked my computer and none of the files I downloaded in the past, nor have any of the files I downloaded since I got on campus on 9/2 have been deleted. The last scan I did was before I went back to school in late August, and nothing was tracked as malicious or posed any threat to my computer or personal files. So I'm wondering if all this malware was caused when I connected to my friends router. I DID download files through my friend's router. I didn't stay with him long because we had VERY different personalities and I'm trying to really focus on school. I'm rooming in a single. When I tried to connect to the internet using an ethernet cord connecting to the wall, I had to install a program by my school to connect. The person at ResNet told me my firewall was temporarly down. I'm wondering if I could've caught the malware through this process. I have downloaded files on my computer in my single, but just youtube videos and stuff. Nothing dangerous (at least I think). The person at ResNet thinks this is related to my Webroot SecureAnywhere. So here are my new questions:

1) Is it possible to catch malware through connecting to an person's router and downloading files through that router?

2) Does Webroot SecureAnywhere (or ANY anti-virus software) shut down your firewall?

3) How do I turn-on my firewall since it's off now?

4) What should I do about all these other programs on my computer that ResNet installed on it (Open Fit, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, Microsoft Security Essentials, CCleaner, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware). I was told running more than 1 anti-virus on your computer is dangerous.

5) Could it be through connecting to my school's network through downloading and installing this program the reason all this malware was found on my computer?

6) If there was malicious data on my computer before this happened, could that put my external hard drives at risk? I backed up a LOT of data on 3 seperate external hard drives + flash drives. Again, NONE of the files that were detected as malicious were the personal files that I backed up on my hard drives + flash drives. I'm just worried that if there WAS malicious files on my computer at the time when I back my files up, they could be put at risk.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Malwarebytes now has a more intense form of removal, and this will remove PUPs not touched earlier.

Potentially Unwanted Programs are smaller infections that are only minor.....

Are you posting from the problem computer or from another unit ??

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Download Security Check by Screen317
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.
Close any Firefox browsers you may have open
Checkmark the following boxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).

Thank You -

#6 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Malwarebytes now has a more intense form of removal, and this will remove PUPs not touched earlier.

Potentially Unwanted Programs are smaller infections that are only minor.....

Are you posting from the problem computer or from another unit ??

Currently, I'm posting this response from a computer in my school's computer center, but I have full access to my laptop right now. Again, the problem was that I couldn't gain access into my laptop. I'm not sure if it was a virus, a hack, or just me having a bad day and temporarily forgetting my password. I will post the results later today or tomorrow when I get back to my dorm.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the update -

Please post the information as soon as you can -

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users