Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ad.yieldmanager.com cookie(?) removal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mama2chix

mama2chix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hello,

Every time I'm on yahoo.com or in my yahoo email accounts I get a pop-up disguised as something I've downloaded (or maybe I did download it??) and says:

Do you want to open or save get-user-id.js from ad.yieldmanager.com?

I have looked at a lot of posts dealing with this issue, but I'm thinking that I need to ask specifically for my computer.  I've done all that I know  to do which is running a scan through trend micro and deleting temporary internet files.  I also tried something I found on ehow which was blocking ad.yieldmanager.com.

PS- I am in pre-school when it comes to computers.  I would like to understand more and I'm hoping this adventure I'm about to embark on helps with that.  Please forgive me if I'm too computer illiterate and am not able to follow the directions given to help me. 

Thank you!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Try This:

Click on the wondows start button (the blue icon with the windows logo in the lower left corner)

Click on "control panel"

Click on "Add-Remove Programs"

Select any item that says Yahoo and click uninstall for each item.

Restart your computer

Try again and see if the problem persists and let us know. Thank you!

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Ad.yieldmanager.com is a known adware site that adds cookies in your browser to track your personal information and browsing habits as you surf the web. It is used by some web sites as part of their advertising so you may encounter it often.

To remove ad.yieldmanager.com cookies (ad.yieldmanager.com, content.yieldmanager.com, yieldmanager.com, yieldmanager.net, etc), launch Internet Explorer.
  • Go to Tools > Internet Options > General tab.
  • Under Browser History, click the Settings button to open Temporary Internet Files and History Settings.
  • Click the View Files button.
  • At the top menu, click on View and select Details.
  • Click the Internet Address column header, search for all Internet addresses related to ad.yieldmanager.com, right-click on them and press Delete.
  • If you are prompted to confirm the deletion of the cookie file, click Yes.
  • Repeat this step for each ad.yieldmanager cookie you find.
Ad.yieldmanager.com should not be included in your "Trusted Sites List". Check this list and look for Ad.yieldmanager (and related entries). If you find any, then remove them.
  • Launch Internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet Options and select the Security tab.
  • Click the Trusted sites icon and select the Sites button.
  • A window will open with the Trusted sites...allowing you to add or remove entries.
  • Remove the Ad.yieldmanager entry(s) from this area if it exists.
  • Click Ok, Apply, and Ok again to exit.
To manage your sites, launch Internet Explorer.
  • Go to Tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab.
  • Click the Sites button.
  • Type in ad.yieldmanager.com and click the Block button. Repeat the step and type in yieldmanager.com, yieldmanager.net and any other variation you found when clearing cookies.
  • Doing that will add those domain names to the Managed websites list.
If you need instructions with screenshots for the above steps, or are using Firefox, please refer to this article. Do not download any anti-malware removal tools from that site as they are useless.

Other resources:
How to Delete Cookies in Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer
How to Clear Your Browser's Cache

I also recommend using SpywareBlaster, a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". Click on Updates, then the Check for updates button. If any are found, download them all and click Enable Protection for All Unprotected items when finished. For more information, see SpywareBlaster System Requirements & Supported Browsers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

QuietMan7: Yikes! Thank you for catching my misdirection on that one! My fault for not reading more closely.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hello -

You can also download SUPERAntiSpyware Free which is like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, but will also remove all Tracking Cookies.

Update the program each time you run it, and you may even remove other infections with it -

Thank You -

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

QuietMan7: Yikes! Thank you for catching my misdirection on that one! My fault for not reading more closely.

That happens sometimes...just have to be careful.

#7 mama2chix

mama2chix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Oh my goodness!  I didn't expect help so quickly.  Thank you so much.  I will work on it.  ***Wish me luck***

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

You're welcome and good luck.

#9 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hello Mama2Chix:

Here's an idea that no one has mentioned . This site at one time recommended it I think. It's an old, simple, program named Cookie Wall. The icon is a yellow cookie with a bite out of it. It's very simple to use, pretty much self explanatory.  Once installed, it opens with three columns- Delete automatically; New; & Cookies to Keep. It collects cookies as you browse. Before you shut down the computer, right click the cookie icon that you have in the tray. It will offer you a chance to Add or Delete. Go through the NEW column and look for ones you know you don't want- in your case yield manager. Sometimes the cookie name is at the beginning, other times it is at the end of other words or numbers. When you find Yieldmanager,  click on it to highlight it, hit the group of arrowheads between the columns putting it into the "delete automatically". You won't see that particular yieldmanager again, as long as you leave it in the "delete automatically" column. If Yield manager is attached to something else you may have to do it again with the new code it hooked to. Presently I have two yeldmanager cookies, which gets them for me. The cookie wall program is rarely updated, so it won't list all your bad ones, but it will surely cut down on the problems. I have trouble with one named esomniture... plus other letters. It has 10 or 15 variations, so you'll need to collect that many, before you will get complete relief, but you will get relief. I presently have 104 cookies  in the Delete Automatically column. Sometimes I add to them from tracking cookies picked up on CCleaner before deleting the Ccleaner ones. Also you can get the newer tracking cookie names from Advanced System Care, results. 

I like these programs because the are free to download, and Easy to use, and don't have reputations for locking up ones computer. For me it is easier than some other suggestions, and only has to be done one time, for each cookie.. You won't be repeatedly cleaning out the same one on Ccleaner or Advanced system care. Be careful and don't add the good ones to the delete side or you won't be able to open that page the next time.  Cookie Wall needs to start when your computer starts. It uses very little space.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

Cookie Wall needs to start when your computer starts. It uses very little space.

There is nothing wrong with using Cookie Management tools and there are a number of them available for free. However, there is no need for them to run a start up. There are enough applications that require this already and the more there are, the more impact that combination can have on system performance. If you're going to use a Cookie Manager, then I suggest using one that works on demand when you want it to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users