Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Get Os From Recovery Cd?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 innovacraft

innovacraft

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:39 PM

had to replace hard drive in Dell dementia . now the machine will not boot up with recovery cd . I don't want my freind to have to buy another copy of xp pro. What options are open to me?

thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:23 AM

Have you gone into the BIOS and changed the boot order to start from CD?

#3 innovacraft

innovacraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:25 AM

Yes

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:33 AM

Can you give us some more info, such as exactly what happens when you try to boot to the CD? Error messeges? Do you hear beeps? What is on the screen?

Did you go into the BIOS and see if your new drive is recognized?

Have you partitioned the new drive by running 'fdisk' or similar utility?

If you give us some more info we will be better able to help!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

You may have to use the Windows setup disks first:

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

If that doesn't work I would call Dell support and demand the appropriate Windows installation disk.

That and the 25 digit Windows Key Number for your oem installation should enable you to reinstall Windows on the new hard drive after formating the hard drive appropriately.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 April 2006 - 09:03 AM.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

If you have the original recovery cd for this computer, not one from another make and model. It should boot up and go thru the re-installation of Windows. There has to be another reason that it is not. One of the reasons is that the new hard drive is not formatted correctly or is not being recognized by the computer. Here is what you do and I will give you a site to go to so you can see how to set up the drive select switches

What is Cable Select and How Do I configure my Seagate ATA Drive to Use It? =
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq...ble_select.html

If your drive is not this one it does not matter what your are looking at is how to set up your drive properly for your system. If it is a boot drive it usually gets set to primary cable and the drive select gets set to master, this is usually shown on top of the drive and the page I sent you to will give you an idea of where the switched are.

After this your drive has to be partitioned and formatted. Most drives come with software to do this either on a CD-R or on the hard drive. You might need some one who has either done this before or knows how to do it. The explanation can get quite long for this, but when this is done your drive will be able to accept the Windows Recover disk and you will be all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users