Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Pictures has disappeared from My Documents...Can't Save Pics XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Computer Confusion

Computer Confusion

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

I am trying to save pictures from my camera's SD card to my laptop, but the "My Pictures" option disappeared after saving six or seven photos.  Normally, I click "Save As", and select "My Documents" and then "My Pictures" from the dropdown menu.  But, the option is gone, leaving me with just "My Music" and "My Videos".

It is still in the Start up menu...just gone from the drop down menu.  This happened once with a desktop I owned, but I was able to access a less direct route through the drop down menu (documents to recent documents and then select the folder that I needed), but that option doesn't exist on the laptop. 

Rebooting the computer multiple times hasn't helped, and I found that I can't upload them to Facebook to try to direct them back to me because the "My Pictures" option isn't available in the drop down menu.

I have asked several people, but no one seems to know what is going on.  Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Sounds like the program path to the My Pictures folder was unintentionally changed.

Look at your home drive (usually C) for  C:/Documents and Settings /<your user name> /My Documents/My Pictures

If  it isn't there, but somewhere else you can use the search tool to locate your pictures by typing in the search box either My Pictures or *.jpg  (the later will find all jpg pictures on your computer wherein you can open  a couple thumbnails that you know should be in my pictures and click on properties to see where they now reside.)

Here's info on how to reset The My Pictures folder pathway:

Windows keeps the path to special folders like My Pictures in the registry key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

Rather than manually editing to reset the key, you can use TweakUI Power Tool  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310176

or the Microsoft FixIt Tool   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549#FixItForMeAlways

You also state you can't access the Recent menu. You should see an option for this if you hit the start key  > taskbar & start menu > customize > advanced. Then see if there's a check by List my most recently opened documents . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users