Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CTS247?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ontabok

Ontabok

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Has anyone heard of this place and is it legit?  I had a friend get a call from these guys asking to access their PC.  They even went on to give Windows her information from the laptop. Has anyone heard of this?  I'm kind of confused by the whole thing.

Ontabok

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

I have not heard of it and given what little I've found out there on the WWW I would stay far away from these people.

Their website  cts247 dot com was just created in May of this year and is only good for one year.

Their website also offers no information about them other than providing links for four downloads for online remote desktop apps...which should scare anyone off.

If your friend gets another call I would advise them to simply hang up or not answer the call.

Please let us know if you or your friend gets any other information.

Winterland

Edited by Winterland, 25 September 2013 - 09:16 AM.

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

It's amazing what information is available...when using Google or another search engine.

http://www.enom.com/whois/cts247-com.html

I don't think I'd be paying any attention at all to any telephonic solicitation...let alone one by this apparent website.

Telephonic spam is pretty old hat, in my world.  Consdiering the apparent dearth of info about this "new website"...it doesn't rate as being worthy of any trust on my part.

Louis

#4 Ontabok

Ontabok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I have not heard of it and given what little I've found out there on the WWW I would stay far away from these people.

Their website  cts247 dot com was just created in May of this year and is only good for one year.

Their website also offers no information about them other than providing links for four downloads for online remote desktop apps...which should scare anyone off.

If your friend gets another call I would advise them to simply hang up or not answer the call.

Winterland

It's amazing what information is available...when using Google or another search engine.

http://www.enom.com/whois/cts247-com.html

I don't think I'd be paying any attention at all to any telephonic solicitation...let alone one by this apparent website.

Telephonic spam is pretty old hat, in my world.  Consdiering the apparent dearth of info about this "new website"...it doesn't rate as being worthy of any trust on my part.

Louis

Thanks for the feedback!!  I thought it was fishy and I ran across the all too new site!  I was just looking for some backing from the "REAL" smart guys!  I just pretend sometimes... :luke:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

LOL...don't let us fool you :).

Louis

#6 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

you can view videos on youtube.com and search for indian microsoft scams, if this company is anything even remotely like this then it is definately a scam.  This is just to educate and from what we can all tell is that they have already been identified as fakes.  Watch a few, learn what lies they tell in order to dupe you.  Prime example:

edit: spelling corrections

Edited by wing987, 25 September 2013 - 05:09 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#7 Ontabok

Ontabok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

LOL...don't let us fool you :).

Louis

There needs to be a like button added here!  HAHA!   :thumbup2:

you can view videos on youtube.com and search for indian microsoft scams, if this company is anything even remotely like this then it is definately a scam.  This is just to educate and from what we can all tell is that they have already been identified as fakes.  Watch a few, learn what lies they tell in order to dupe you.  Prime example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnS_fJ4DR2A

edit: spelling corrections

This was great!  I'll share the news!!  Thanks!

#8 JJBrown

JJBrown

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

Winterland

Hello =) I am the "friend" that was scammed. I will tell you this, I found the call so ODD that I even recorded it. They told me from the start that they were with Windows and my computer had been downloading a lot of malware *insert all those weird terms I can't remember* while I was online and it sent alerts to them and they were calling to inform me so they could walk me through the steps to fix it. I knew for a fact that I didn't PAY to have Windows monitor such things. So I began to record the conversation. For some reason, they knew ALL my computers information. I never confirmed or denied anything but they already knew! They had me type into the run search bar: eventvwr?? and it pulled up all these alerts and it was showing me all the warnings of the malware that affected my computer. Then they had me type in the run search bar: www.cts247.com and it took me to a webpage. I had no clue it would pull up the internet (I'm a dummy). I refused to click on it. Long story short I hung up with them. After hanging up with them I called a REAL Windows Support Team and their tech remotely accessed my computer and told me the hackers were IN my computer before they even placed the call. The hackers implanted the FAKE WARNINGS as I was on the phone with them. They were no longer there after the phone call. They disappeared. HOW ON EARTH DID THEY DO THAT?!?!?!?!?! I reset all my passwords and on my router I switched my SSID name AND made it invisible. The Norton 360 tech said it was a good thing I didn't click on that link and the computer scan came back clean. I really hope I've put a stop to this. But I still have so many questions. I would really like to find these guys and put them in jail!

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

Hello there JJBrown and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

I'm sorry you arrived here with that distressing story and under those circumstances but we're glad you're here and we're also glad you didn't click on any of those links as well.

As for how it happened...well, unfortunately there could be any number of reasons so all the proactive measures you've taken are one giant step in the right direction. I strongly suggest you keep on that path and if you need some other ideas as to how to go about that, I would start here.

Thanks also for posting your story as a reminder to our members what's out there, who's out there and how these things can and do happen.

Surf safe, have fun and we'll see you in the Forums.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#10 bhaprare

bhaprare

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

Hi There,

I had a call today from these CST247 guys. As mentioned by one of the member in this forum, these guys asked me to open the computer management and then go to windows logs, then I have asked him to provide their company details, contact address, how did you get my phone number  etc N the guy over the phone tried to convince me that they got my details through the computer serial number n all and are trying to help me out in figuring computers problem and all. Then I I have mentioned to him that see me and my wife both are working in IT firm since last 5+ years and both are computer techs and can fix if any thing happen to computer or can take to IT techs. Moreover, it is impossible for you to get my details through mu computer serial number as I never brought one, only using the one given by the company. 

Then all off sudden he hanged up the phone using very abusive language saying you nuts n mother f****rs (LOL).

is better not to chat with these junks for long. 

hope this may help somebody.

Cheers,

Bhaprare

Edited by bhaprare, 06 November 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#11 Familyguy123

Familyguy123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

I also just received a call from these guys today.  I didn't enter the command line information they asked but I did play along until they told me to load the CTS247 website.  Instead of loading the site I did a google search and got this discussion.  I explained to the caller that before I open the website he was asking me to open, I wanted to do a search on the site to see if it was legitimate.  He didn't seem to like that and started getting a bit agitated so I hung up on him.  I looked at the number on my caller Id and it said "Washington 1-206-777-1016".  When I tried to call the number it naturally it was a number that has been disconnected.  They make it look like they are calling from MS in Redmond Washington but in reality they obviously aren't.  I never opened their website and highly recommend everyone to stay away from them.

#12 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hello Familyguy,

I wouldn't concentrate to much on the phone number ... I know from experience, if you call someones phone using Skype, the receivers caller ID will show a fairly local phone number, which can't be reached because there is no real phone attached.  I only imagine that Skype (now Microsoft) does this to avoid having to use long distance carriers. 

I'm pretty sure the bad guys mentioned, would use Skype to call people because it is cheap and pretty much untraceable. 

#13 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

I just found that the website has been suspended ... http://whois.domaintools.com/cts247.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users